Guidance on upgrading system

Participant count
  • Participant list

Moldyshrimp

CarAudio.com Newbie
Usa
Hi I was just looking to upgrade my sub but have seemed to reach a stand still. So right now basically I am running a JVC headunit to a kicker 5 channel amp, basically the amp sub output has 400watt rms and four speaker Outputs are 100 or so watts. I am running 2 kicker punch p1t-s, 4 kicker Ksc670, and one kicker compR 12” 2ohm. I am looking for a bass increase for one because the current amp only gets the sub 400rms power, while the compR is capable of 500 watt rms power. I was pretty sure I’d go with another kicker CompR sub but was conflicted about how to go about it. I am probally going to need to run a new amp and was wondering a suggestion for a good slave amp for the amp I currently have(Kicker KXA 800.5 ). Also since I already have one box in one enclosure, should I just buy another sub and run it out of its own enclosure as well and if so how would I wire this? If anyone has any suggestions on the best way to upgrade my bass and if so the writing sugestions. Thanks in advance for the advice

You really shouldn't run 2 different kinds of subs and shouldn't run them in 2 different boxes.
You don't really even have to add a sub.
Get a more powerful sub amp and a sub that can match it in power handling with a proper box and your good to go.
For example instead of putting another 500 watt sub in with a different amp, in a different box get 1, 1000watt sub, lets say a dual 2 ohm and then get a sub amp that will run 1000 watts at 1 ohm.
Just make sure the box size is in line with the subs recommended dimensions. My preference is ported but everyone is different.

Sell everything and start from scratch.

no.gif

Adding another subwoofer and amp to run with your other kicker subwoofer on the 5 channel is a bad idea.

You want matching subwoofers on the same amp. Your Kicker subwoofer rating is 400 watts and your amp is 500 watts. That doesn't mean you need a 500 watt subwoofer or need to add another subwoofer. On music you won't be seeing anywhere near that 500 watts. Going to a 500 watt rms subwoofer will make zero difference.

If you want more bass you need to get a monoblock amp and not use the 5th channel on your 5 channel amp. That will cause cancelation and sound terrible.

The box makes or breaks a subwoofer. What box do you currently have? A proper designed and built ported box could be all you need.

I would also not run 4 coaxial speakers with another set of tweeters on top of that. A good single set of components would be a much better option.

How loud do you want to be? That's important to know to avoid buying things twice.

If your sub is currently in a sealed box, going to a ported box will dramatically increase output, and may be all you need to do. Obviously, two subs ported will be louder than one of the same subs ported. Decide your goals and your budget and go from there.

Don't get too hung up on power ratings. In my opinion adding a second amp to gain 100w is silly.

Adding another subwoofer and amp to run with your other kicker subwoofer on the 5 channel is a bad idea.

You want matching subwoofers on the same amp. Your Kicker subwoofer rating is 400 watts and your amp is 500 watts. That doesn't mean you need a 500 watt subwoofer or need to add another subwoofer. On music you won't be seeing anywhere near that 500 watts. Going to a 500 watt rms subwoofer will make zero difference.

If you want more bass you need to get a monoblock amp and not use the 5th channel on your 5 channel amp. That will cause cancelation and sound terrible.

The box makes or breaks a subwoofer. What box do you currently have? A proper designed and built ported box could be all you need.

I would also not run 4 coaxial speakers with another set of tweeters on top of that. A good single set of components would be a much better option.

but I could just use the channel on the slave amp rather then the 5th channel on the main amp for my sub?

How loud do you want to be? That's important to know to avoid buying things twice.

If your sub is currently in a sealed box, going to a ported box will dramatically increase output, and may be all you need to do. Obviously, two subs ported will be louder than one of the same subs ported. Decide your goals and your budget and go from there.

Don't get too hung up on power ratings. In my opinion adding a second amp to gain 100w is silly.

it is a nice ported box set to exact specifications, I was just looking for more bass because I used to run this same sub at 500watt rms in my old car and now I’m my new car running it at 400watts and it just doesn’t seem nearly as loud as it was in my old car

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.