Greg's modest build

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gregulate
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've got everything picked out and it's starting to arrive //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Sub Audiopulse EPD210 EPIC 10" DVC Subwoofer 2 Ohm

Sub Amp AQ1200D

Comps Massive Audio RK 6

Comp Amp kenwood kac-8401

wiring knu konceptz 4 awg kollosus flecks

sub and sub amp already installed with the knu wires, still have to do the big 3 (probably 1/0 welding wire), still waiting on mdf rings for comps and some battery terminals, so it will probably be a bit before I can update, but I'll post as many pics as I can. I'm installing all of this into my '09 Accord, btw. Really excited.

Thanks to a bunch of you for helping me figure this stuff out, esp ninesvnsicks for answering a bunch of my n00b questions.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

I'm still waiting on a few items

NP thanks for buying my amp I was able to get my 2nd battery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif What's in the plastic bags?

NP thanks for buying my amp I was able to get my 2nd battery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif What's in the plastic bags?
RCA splitters--since I've only got one set of speaker-level inputs, i'm just splitting my LOC RCAs to run to second amp. From what I've read, it should work.

Shame that Kenwood amp is in there, everything else looks good though! It'd be interesting to see you fit those RK's in the doors as well, I'm tuned in for details.

And you'll either need to do a run of 1/0 to a distro, and 4 and 8 gauge there into the sub and speaker amps respectively. Or that 4 gauge can only be used for the sub amp, and then you'll need another run of 4 or 8 gauge for the speaker amp.

Why shame on the Kenwood amp? I've loved the entire KAC series.....decent little budget amps they do what they need to and are cheap. Not to mention extremely easy to get your hands on one.

ah ok, your going to need more than 4 gauge power running to the back if your running that 1200d plus another amp. Maybe 2-0 gauge then split into 4 and whatever.
Call me silly, but I've got some 8 awg wire from a previous install that i will use to run a separate line from the battery to the 4 ch amp. It may look a little messier under the hood, but it'll get the job done.

Now that I think about it you could of just got a short 2 channel rca and went from the 4 ch passthru to the sub amp.
Good call. I didn't think about that. I sometimes come up with more complicated solutions to my problems... I like your idea better than using the splitters.

Shame that Kenwood amp is in there, everything else looks good though! It'd be interesting to see you fit those RK's in the doors as well, I'm tuned in for details.
This'll be my second kenwood amp (used to have a stereo amp bridged to power a sub many years ago--worked great for beginner setup). From what I can tell this new one that I got for like $55 should do rated and work great with these comps. As for fitting, I purchased some spacers on eBay and have read from other Accord installs that this works pretty well. I may start to work on it today and will probably run into TONS of issues, but hey, that's part of the fun!

Why shame on the Kenwood amp? I've loved the entire KAC series.....decent little budget amps they do what they need to and are cheap. Not to mention extremely easy to get your hands on one.
Word, I'm expecting it to work great //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

Call me silly, but I've got some 8 awg wire from a previous install that i will use to run a separate line from the battery to the 4 ch amp. It may look a little messier under the hood, but it'll get the job done.
I did the EXACT same thing haha. Had 8 gauge from an old system and used that for my new speaker amp, and bought 4 gauge. I got 2 runs going and it works fine. Though just for the sake of having something to work on, I am itching to upgrade to 1/0 and a distro block. Not that I need it, the separate runs work fine. And if you have a place to mount the fuse holders, it really doesn't look messy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

aha, yes, running into those complications are alllll part of the install. I know my car had problems every single step of the way >.

Problem 1:

IMG_0697.JPG

The magnet won't even fit in the hole!!

IMG_0696.JPG

Look how puny the stock speaker is compare to the RK6. I sure hope I can figure out how to make this work... any ideas?

Are your stock speakers 5.25 or 6.5? The magnet should at least fit thru the hole, as for the window hitting it or not that's a different story. If you could cut the hole bigger and then use a mdf ring to give the magnet more space that might work.

Ripped my car apart, put it back together. I finally installed the comps (IA I65c) and used some peal and seal I bought from Lowe's to seal behind the speakers (they fit in the door like a dream, btw). Powered on the amp and boom: sound!!!

Now, the stage doesn't sound right. Sound from the comps almost completely overpowers the rear. I'm using an LOC that is tied into the rear speakers, so that might have something to do with it. Also, the sound is a little tinny and the tweets seem "high." I'm considering an EQ or something that I add to the mix, but am still in the beginning stages of that.

Any ideas?

Also, how do i edit the original post to update my equipment?

Waiting on my EQX to arrive to get to work on the sound. Also, initially had the sub firing up and have since switched that up so that it now faces the trunk. Doing this left the sub exposed, but i found a solution:

2012-01-25_21.10.30.jpg

I will go back and take some other pix of where I connected the power wires, ran the speaker wires and how the speakers look in the doors.

So far, I am pleased with the setup, aside from the minor sound issue. The bass could be a little punchier in regular music, but I can always play with that later.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.