Good but cheap 6.5" speakers?

Okay, I tried to search, but the search feature times out every time I try to use it. Not sure why, since it works on several other vBulletin sites.

I want to upgrade from the stock system in my 1992 G20. I have already put in an Alpine CDE-9852 headunit that I got last year. I would like to JUST put in speakers in the stock locations -- don't want to bother with an amp or rewiring and would like to avoid putting in a sub unless absolutely necessary.

I don't need bumping bass but would like somewhat more than I have currently with the stock speakers. I do want clear, balanced sound though.

I want to go 6.5" all around. The front door speakers are 4x6" stock, but the brackets can be modified so that 6.5" ones fit. The rear parcel shelf speakers are already 6.5".

Can anybody make some suggestions about what speakers to get that meet my requirements?

Look into Phoenix Gold's base line stuff. DIRT cheap and gets the job done. E-bay them for 40$ a set. Even their componenets are cheap, maybe just get one set of comps and a set of coaxials for the rear, to improve overall sound performance. 90DB sensitivity to boot as well.

Other than that, the Alpine

Look into Phoenix Gold's base line stuff. DIRT cheap and gets the job done. E-bay them for 40$ a set. Even their componenets are cheap, maybe just get one set of comps and a set of coaxials for the rear, to improve overall sound performance. 90DB sensitivity to boot as well.
Other than that, the Alpine
agreed. i love my PG octane ZR component set. i did a review on them

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200437

Pioneer reference 2-way 6.5's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blackeye.gif.66a1670f5aaf7f406e783a63e3387dc5.gif

They're not made by Infinity?

Yeah, I know it's an old thread...but I'm looking

I like Infinity Reference coaxials for replacement speakers. They sound great off HU power and aren't that expensive.

I feel ya.
Pioneer revs ain't bad for the price.
If he's going off deck power, I figure that'll become the limiting factor before price does...

Car audio companies should know that once people start shopping past a certain price, they're gonna want amp'd comps

I would not waste my time... even coaxes with an amp would probably sound better than component speakers with only wimpy radio power.

At least get a small amp, won't cost more than $50 and would make a world of difference.

Sorry for the belated reply; for some reason I wasn't getting email notifications.

My budget is "as cheap as I can get without having absolute junk." Ideally I would like to spend less than $100 total, but I would be willing to spend a little more if I could only get junk for $100 (which, looking at the Phoenix Golds on eBay, is not true).

Does an amp affect sound QUALITY as well as volume? I am not a "loud music" kind of person -- I want clean, balanced sound, but at medium volumes. After a certain point I just start getting a headache. So I would consider an amp but only if it noticeably increases quality at medium volume. There is also the fact that I am not enamored of rewiring, and an amp would make it necessary to do that, right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.