Glueing Amp to backseat back

Xprime4

****in' canadian
10+ year member
Jul 29, 2008
Quebec, Canada
I'm fawking tired of my mb quart amp mounting problems. Seriously, that amp is the least user friendly when it comes to mounting and wiring. You need to unmount the amp to acces the wiring terminal

The mounting holes are inside the heatsink and each time i'm trying to put a screw in it, it get stuck somehow and become unsuable.

I already put a like 20$ worth of Velcro behind the amp since the backseat back is made of carpet... but it ain't strong enough, falling everytime i accelarate quick.

I bough Super glue with a Donkey on it yesturday and it doesn't seems much more solid. What kind of glue would fit my application the best? I was thinking about Epoxy but i'm not quite sure. I don't care if i rush to remove it in few years... i just want the amp to stick there and STAY there for a while.

That's the only bad side on that amp, beside that i love it alot, even if it got a pretty big footprint

cliffs: need to glue metal to carpet... "industrial strenght" glue ain't strong enough

bamaboy

War Eagle!!!
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 31, 2004
Auburn, Alabama
yea, you may want to put a little more thought into this one, maybe make a pocket for the amp to slide into

SocialStealth

Banned
Jan 5, 2009
New Jersey
...mine is screwed onto the back of my seat.

predrill holes (i used my dad's drill and broke the bit but ughhh he doesn't need to know about that).

It'll hold, and you can undo it if you have to...?

Xprime4

****in' canadian
10+ year member
Jul 29, 2008
Quebec, Canada
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

misfit138

a whole new type of aids
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 7, 2009
Williamson, WV
Gorilla Glue is the best stuff I know of (other than industrial epoxy). If it won't work for you, I simply don't know what to say. Epoxy may cause a chemical reaction and melt your carpet.

But consider other possibilities, man. Carpet isn't load bearing. The weight of the amp could possibly tear the carpet, leaving you in a worse position in the long run.

It's your ride. Do what you gotta do...

Xprime4

****in' canadian
10+ year member
Jul 29, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Gorilla Glue is the best stuff I know of (other than industrial epoxy). If it won't work for you, I simply don't know what to say. Epoxy may cause a chemical reaction and melt your carpet.
But consider other possibilities, man. Carpet isn't load bearing. The weight of the amp could possibly tear the carpet, leaving you in a worse position in the long run.

It's your ride. Do what you gotta do...

I wouldn't do that on a rental car, but hey you said it, it's mine:D

I would use Epoxy in last resort... it does feel nasty. is The donkey glue transparent btw? That wouldn't really ruin the carpet if used in small quantity

Xprime4

****in' canadian
10+ year member
Jul 29, 2008
Quebec, Canada
...mine is screwed onto the back of my seat.
predrill holes (i used my dad's drill and broke the bit but ughhh he doesn't need to know about that).

It'll hold, and you can undo it if you have to...?
Yeah the mounting holes were working great for few years. Now, screw head got pretty much fawk'up and i had to buffer the buttom to get them out. Now, no combinaison of washer+ screw works... it just make me waste my time... I spend 2 hours on that just yesturday before thinking about glueing it

oldschoolboomer

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Jul 9, 2007
white house, TN
don't do it. pre drill and get some new screws.

Xprime4

****in' canadian
10+ year member
Jul 29, 2008
Quebec, Canada
don't do it. pre drill and get some new screws.
I've looked for screw long enough in few shops without any succes

The premade hole in the heatsink are pretty much screwed... there's nothing i can do with my lacking manual skills //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Apollo220

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Jul 1, 2009
Columbus, GA
um maybe try some anchor bolts instead of some glue ?? that would work much better since u got drilled holes in there already and not having to worry about the chemicals from the glue ruining your amp . cause i know chemicals from wet caulking can ruin a sub if your not careful

misfit138

a whole new type of aids
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 7, 2009
Williamson, WV
is The donkey glue transparent btw? That wouldn't really ruin the carpet if used in small quantity
I don't know. I've never used Donkey Glue. Most Gorilla Glue dries white. But I don't think this is a situation where a little dab will do, man. You'll more than likely have to cover the bottom of the amp with glue, and that could cause all sorts of problems.

This is a bad idea.

Xprime4

****in' canadian
10+ year member
Jul 29, 2008
Quebec, Canada
How many times do you need to adjust things after installation?
the control knobs are accessible... so that's fine. Wire wise... i don't see why i would need to change something there for a long time

When i first got the amp, there was the two panel on each side. I was "where the fawk are the terminals/controls"... And they're using some strange hexagonal screws ... seriously that ******

fbi9O9O9

Banned
Jul 20, 2009
Key West, FL
NO NO NO NO NNO NO NO GLUEING WTF ARE U THINKING???!?!?!1//

what type of seats do you have?

if they have carpetting on the back then you should be able to remopve the factory seat cover if needed.

what you should do to have a solid mount to mount the amp on. buy some 1/4" wood.. any type. get the cheapest shit if you want.

remove the seat cover and measure an area where you can place a board inbetween the back of the seats foam and the seat cover. cut it to size, place a wood panel in between the foam and seat cover, then screw the amp onto the cover into the wood. problem solved.

WOT

Banned
Nov 2, 2007
Toronto,CANADA
Make a pocket on the back of your box, mount the pocket to the box with wood screws, then slide your amp in vertically

Glue aint gonna hold up on carpet thats for sure, especially through a canadian winter.

Hell a couple brackets from home depot would secure it to the box

Xprime4

****in' canadian
10+ year member
Jul 29, 2008
Quebec, Canada
NO NO NO NO NNO NO NO GLUEING WTF ARE U THINKING???!?!?!1//what type of seats do you have?

if they have carpetting on the back then you should be able to remopve the factory seat cover if needed.

what you should do to have a solid mount to mount the amp on. buy some 1/4" wood.. any type. get the cheapest shit if you want.

remove the seat cover and measure an area where you can place a board inbetween the back of the seats foam and the seat cover. cut it to size, place a wood panel in between the foam and seat cover, then screw the amp onto the cover into the wood. problem solved.
hum... the carpet is easely removable i just need to check some more.

Thin wood with glue on it might be an idea. Mounting hole are really screwed.. ahah wordplay //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

@Wot: I'm putting them there cause i'm tired of removing the amp from the box each time i need to get to my wheel pit... It was on the box prior

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds