getting some really LOUD engine noise in my subs!

loudcar412s
10+ year member

TN
i have 2 polk 12's, a lanzar vibe 435 (i think thats right...?) 1000w amp. i had it in my blazer and got no engine noise (it was also with a much better cd player) and now we put them in my friends car and his engine noise is SO loud coming from the subs in the trunk.

what is causing this and how can i fix it?

Engine noise is usually a high pitched whine coming from mids/tweets. Ground the head unit and amps to the same point. Make sure it's a good ground point. make sure the back of the headunit is not touhing metal.

Originally posted by indosia Engine noise is usually a high pitched whine coming from mids/tweets. Ground the head unit and amps to the same point. Make sure it's a good ground point. make sure the back of the headunit is not touhing metal.
So what your saying is, i would have to run a cable all the way to my trunk were my amp is? Arent you supposed to make the ground cable as short as possible?

Please help

Originally posted by indosia Engine noise is usually a high pitched whine coming from mids/tweets. Ground the head unit and amps to the same point. Make sure it's a good ground point. make sure the back of the headunit is not touhing metal.
how do you know it is a signal ground loop?

Originally posted by blaupunk  

So what your saying is, i would have to run a cable all the way to my trunk were my amp is? Arent you supposed to make the ground cable as short as possible?

Please help
I can't help untill you mute the amp

Originally posted by blaupunk  

What do you mean when you say mute the amp? and what are muting plugs?

Thanks
shorted out RCA jacks----hack off some old RCA ends and connect the center prong wire to the outer shield wire. shorting out the plug. make enough for all channels of the noise making amp. plug em in and tell us what happens. Do you happen to know the source imedance of your HU?

Before i make some muting plugs, i thought you might want to know that when i disconnect the rca's runnin to the amp the whinning stops on my sub. So is that anyhelp? my HU is a Aiwa cdc-mp3 im not sure on the impedeance.

k--- move the HU to the back of the car and use gender connectors to plug the HU DIRECTLY into the amp. connect the HU positive and turn on and ground to the amp also ground the case of the HU the terminal too . Do you get noise???

Originally posted by blaupunk What exactly do you mean by gender connectors?
you know them plugs with 2 male ends -------you plug the gender connector into the HU rcas ---so you can plug the HU directly into the amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.