Getting loud in a trunk

WinISD is....

Informative. But the reality is that cabin acoustics will throw those plots out the window. I guess I've just seen enough of these plots fall flat in their face in an acoustic environment. It really shouldn't be viewed as the end all, be all by any means.

Most really good box designers, and by good I don't mean common forum designers, don't even bother with a plot. Ask the guys at Sonus, Pulse, Audio Innovations etc when the last time they used winisd was

They dont need anything because they also stick to recommending the woofers they know and done. Give them a woofer thats out of their jursidiction even they have to pull TS specs and build a box accordingly.

when you've built hundreds of JL, hertz, audison subwoofer boxes, they all start to become common knowledge.

WinISD is....Informative. But the reality is that cabin acoustics will throw those plots out the window. I guess I've just seen enough of these plots fall flat in their face in an acoustic environment. It really shouldn't be viewed as the end all, be all by any means.

Most really good box designers, and by good I don't mean common forum designers, don't even bother with a plot. Ask the guys at Sonus, Pulse, Audio Innovations etc when the last time they used winisd was
In my experience, not the case. If you know what your doing, and know to expect and compensate for cabin gain, then WinISD can be a very useful tool. One of the local car audio shops used to it for every custom build and used to it to take first place with a 160's db build using one 18.

A lot of larger companies tend to use more powerful software that can more accurately calculate power compression and cabin gain (approximates on the cabin gain, I don't think there's anyone who has compiled all the cabin measurements for every vehicle yet, I may be wrong). For general daily builds though, most subs act the same and you generally don't need to graph it.

WinISD is a tool. It can be used correctly or incorrectly. Like any tool, using it depends on your situation and application. Expecting to get exactly what you see on screen will lead to failure. Understanding how what you see interacts with other factors in real life leads to a higher success rate

So are you going to make a 7cu box for a kicker 12? No, because mechanically power handling will be reduced to about 25w. That is precisely what I mean, its informative. Further info is obviously needed.. I guess all the people with good results that didn't utilize these programs just got lucky.

As to other programs, I've seen others have really solid results with bass box pro

Build a large box can mechanically break a sub.

Too small of a box can thermally kill a sub. Find recommended specs and adjust accordingly to power and space.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Where the hell did you get 7 cubes for a kicker 12 from?
That was us playing around with one of the old Kicker comps a while back. It always seemed like we never got the low end response of them that we could other subs. So, we wanted to see exactly what it would take to get them there. The end result was a stupidly large box. Other series kickers like the cvr's were a different story.

That was us playing around with one of the old Kicker comps a while back. It always seemed like we never got the low end response of them that we could other subs. So, we wanted to see exactly what it would take to get them there. The end result was a stupidly large box. Other series kickers like the cvr's were a different story.
oh okay. Yeah i would give up that low end response for overall performance instead... its a kicker comp lol. wasn't the old kicker joke stating that you dont need anything under 40hz?

That was the box winisd suggested for simulatedzero scenario. I didn't come up with that, the all knowing winisd did
Kicker Comp. 12" 8ohm??? [Archive] - Mobile Sound Science Forum - Fact Based Car Audio for the DIY Enthusiast

Not the only one who came to similar conclusions and never said it was practical. But I'm sure your all inclusive experience trumps what we've built and measured on a term lab.

Also, the scenario I posted before was simply to demonstrate why it depended on the sub to answer the guys question on sticking two subs in 3ft^3 vs one sub in the same space using three very different examples.

oh okay. Yeah i would give up that low end response for overall performance instead... its a kicker comp lol. wasn't the old kicker joke stating that you dont need anything under 40hz?
Pretty much. The old shop I used to worth with ordered them by the pallet load and would run insane deals like buy one get one for 30 and try and push 4 at a time for loud budget builds.

Everything I'm referring to is in reference to Termlab. Going back to about 2008 (on TL). But this conversation has become circular. You believe in winisd, I think its uses are limited. I'll continue not using it...and I guess making good boxes on sheer luck.

To the OP, like I originally stated, if you supply dims it will allow for more objective input.

You believe in winisd, I think its uses are limited. I'll continue not using it...and I guess making good boxes on sheer luck.
Whatever dude, there's no reason both of our processes can't work. You're the one who started challenging what I was saying, going on about how many people you've seen fail using WinISD. Get over yourself, you're not the only one who can figure out how to put a small circular speaker into a square box and predict sound response.

You seem unable to accept a contrary viewpoint. Did I say YOU were stupid, or that YOU need to stop using winisd? No, I didn't. So perhaps it is you, who needs to get over something. I guess I could take you more seriously if you were doing more than a 137 on a pair of 12s. Shrugs

You seem unable to accept a contrary viewpoint. Did I say YOU were stupid, or that YOU need to stop using winisd? No, I didn't. So perhaps it is you, who needs to get over something. I guess I could take you more seriously if you were doing more than a 137 on a pair of 12s. Shrugs
Lol, yeah, cause how hard your setup hits is the defining factor of overall knowledge. And again dude, you're the one who disagreed, saying I was wrong. But I guess that's my intolerance showing? I guess that was my intolerance when I said there's no reason both of our ways can't work? K

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.