Getting back into

Participant count
  • Participant list

corin6

CarAudio.com Newbie
usa
Looking for some suggestions on gear. Mostly an amp and sub for right now. Any size sub is fine. I'd like to only run 400 rms and a ported box however I'd like to eventually run 800 rms. So maybe an amp that is 4ohm 400rms or 2ohm 800rms? Been a long time since i did this so im not sure whats good. 200$ max per item if possible.

What kind of vehicle? You will most likely end up with 2 budget friendly 8's or 10's on a 1,000 watt amp wired to one ohm. Look at the MD1200 amp and some American Bass or Skar subs.

Hello sorry for long time to reply. I have a 2018 kia rio. Small car. My experience was mostly with SUVs and station wagons. Had 2 ported 10's at one point at 800 RMS (probably less. was noob too audio and didnt know you needed a slightly more powerful amp). Was happy with the output(when I popped the trunk NOBODY believed they were just 10's ;) good electrical and box design in a sound dead suv). Not so much the quality though. They were kicker cvrs; probably why(made cheap stuff work. was young and was piecing pawn shop and marketplace stuff together). I have been really liking the sound of pioneer single 12 lately as well(way better sound than the cvrs). I don't have much experience with lots of brands. I didn't like fosgate speaker. Too soft. Not loud at all.

I like good sound but I need some output like when I had the 2 ported 10's. So whatever sound good in small 4 cylinder car.

So pretty much lookingfor recomendations on what amp and speaker combination I could start with 1 speaker and later on adding another speaker without changing amp.(basicallyan amp that can handle 1 speaker but could handle 2 of the same speakers if bridged.) I also prefer if the amp is slightly over powered. I plan on upgrading electrical eventually because I'm pretty sure I'll be adding a front stage as well as the second sub and I would like the electrical to hold together even during the most demanding songs.

So what would be your head turning sub stage that you could start for 400 - 500$ and eventually end up around 600-700$ for a part 2 finish?

Last edited:
For subs you have tons of choices. Sundown, American Bass, Soundqubed, Skar.. The list goes on. Find a sub in your price range and buy it. Maybe look up what size box its wants as well. They all perform like you would expect.

I would say get dual 4 ohm sub. First sub, wire its to 2ohm.
Then when you decide to get a 2nd sub you cAn wire both to 1ohm.

Amplifier..sundown SFB, Cab-22, JP23 or JP8.

Everything listed can rock out and perform as rated.

Hello sorry for long time to reply. I have a 2018 kia rio. Small car. My experience was mostly with SUVs and station wagons. Had 2 ported 10's at one point at 800 RMS (probably less. was noob too audio and didnt know you needed a slightly more powerful amp). Was happy with the output(when I popped the trunk NOBODY believed they were just 10's ;) good electrical and box design in a sound dead suv). Not so much the quality though. They were kicker cvrs; probably why(made cheap stuff work. was young and was piecing pawn shop and marketplace stuff together). I have been really liking the sound of pioneer single 12 lately as well(way better sound than the cvrs). I don't have much experience with lots of brands. I didn't like fosgate speaker. Too soft. Not loud at all.

I like good sound but I need some output like when I had the 2 ported 10's. So whatever sound good in small 4 cylinder car.

So pretty much lookingfor recomendations on what amp and speaker combination I could start with 1 speaker and later on adding another speaker without changing amp.(basicallyan amp that can handle 1 speaker but could handle 2 of the same speakers if bridged.) I also prefer if the amp is slightly over powered. I plan on upgrading electrical eventually because I'm pretty sure I'll be adding a front stage as well as the second sub and I would like the electrical to hold together even during the most demanding songs.

So what would be your head turning sub stage that you could start for 400 - 500$ and eventually end up around 600-700$ for a part 2 finish?
Honestly I've always been pretty impressed with Kicker subs for what they are, and for what it's worth any of those name brands (Kicker/Pioneer/Alpine/etc.) should all perform about the same when comparing price tiers.

I'd also lean towards Soundqubed. The HDS3 (3 inch coil) model is a proven performer and their amps are typically a good value.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...