Getting a new sub, need help in my decision! Also, is my box good enough?

If you have 4v preouts full power the amp is capable of making clean is around 1/4 gain.
I do not really understand this, so i should have my gain at less than half to not damage it?

I've had it turned all the way up most car rides for abouttttt... 6 months now? It kindof sounds exactly the same and is still going strong.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Again sundown will laugh at that hifonics. The test they did is an amp dyno where 1 ohm is 1 ohm. In an actual vehicle where 1 ohm is 1.8 to 3.0 ohms. Plus voltage drops and energy loss through heat (efficiency) whatever you think it does, is not what you will get out of it, not even close
So I gather then that I am going to buy this sub, i still dont know if 10 or 12 is best again. I think i have space for either

I do not really understand this, so i should have my gain at less than half to not damage it?
I've had it turned all the way up most car rides for abouttttt... 6 months now? It kindof sounds exactly the same and is still going strong.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

So I gather then that I am going to buy this sub, i still dont know if 10 or 12 is best again. I think i have space for either
It depends on preout voltage. 2v is around half to a bit more. You only get full preout voltage at the max volume the deck is making clean. Most decks clip them selves around 75% volume. The good decks go all the way up or right at it. Google amp clipping. Since you like youtube I'll find you something to watch.

I kindof understand that about the voltage. I typically play my music at 20/50, 25/50 is where my sub in the settings maxes out.

I could crank it all the way to 50 without a problem if the door speakers could handle it, but I won't go past 35 because of that.

The height really isnt an issue, really the rest of the cab's height which could easily be four feet.
So 10x 13 x 48, you have room for a single 12 or two 10s

This is actually how you should plan out when buying a sub next time for future references. Measure everything out cubic feet wise and base your purchase on the space you have to give up.

If everything is set right it will all sound the same(blended) from low volume to full volume. You want that preout voltage high, that's your noise floor. You should be able to run the knob up as high as it can cleanly go

That video helped a bunch, but what I do is I turn the gain all the way on the amp, then use the deck to decide where I should stop. Such as 20-25, full gain, sounds fine. 26-30, i dial back alittle on the amp.

And Jeff, I have the four feet but I'd rather not USE all of it lol I'd prefer it stay as low as possible so i don't have subs in my passengers head.

Like, if the sub were to face straight towards the dash i would have 10", maybe less with wood, of mounting. I would really like it to be slanted though

That video helped a bunch, but what I do is I turn the gain all the way on the amp, then use the deck to decide where I should stop. Such as 20-25, full gain, sounds fine. 26-30, i dial back alittle on the amp.
And Jeff, I have the four feet but I'd rather not USE all of it lol I'd prefer it stay as low as possible so i don't have subs in my passengers head.

Like, if the sub were to face straight towards the dash i would have 10", maybe less with wood, of mounting. I would really like it to be slanted though
Need actual numbers buddy, go measure how much you actually want to give up and ill tell you if you can go with a 12 or a 10

Alex, my dimensions are 10 inches wide and 13 inches long, minus 3/4 inch for the width of the wood on the box. The depth may be as high as it needs to be, I think 16 inches would look good but it could really go up to about three feet. (but then the sub would probably be blasting right in my passengers ear).
I've gathered that my amp is rated at 1000, but im subtracting about 200 due to hifonics being terrible as you all have put it. Sooo, Im supposing i have an 800 watt amp at two ohms maybe?

My price range goes up to $250 for a subwoofer. 200 would be ideal, as i would need the wiring and what not as well.

I would like to order a sub by tomorrow if possible, so I have gathered from everyone that Sundown seems to be the best.

Also Jeff, they did hook up a 10" 1500 watt DB drive in my truck before. They have this demo thing, they just take a box with a sub and have long cables to an amp inside so they can place it inside your truck and let you hear it. It was loud, trust me lol, made my parking pass want to fall off my mirror.
Apologies for late reply, had family fly in unannounced. Based on what you've told me I recommend the JL Audio 10w6v2. You can get a used one for 200 that would allow returns as well.

Have a feeling you went with Sundown which is a good quality sub. Know their transition to the home audio market hasn't been good due to bad designs. The drivers are still good quality, but the enclosure they put them in apparently is like an amateur did it and sounds terrible per 5-6 people that have them.

I grabed a 10' Alpine SWS. Was too good of a price with a 45 day return policy. Was only 30$ shipped.

Doing a build with opposing drivers. If I don't do 2 JL 12w6v2, I'm leaning towards the Alpine R series. Don't believe you can find a better sub at the price, 70$ for a new one. Would like to hear them against Sundowns, bet they could hold their own easily. Wonder if the 100$ plus difference in price is worth the quality. Buying 1 of each to find out.

Did you get one ordered? What did you go with?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.