Getting a new sub, need help in my decision! Also, is my box good enough?

Hey guys, i am looking to upgrade my current subwoofer. Right now I have the very basic Kicker C12 at 150rms, and I am looking for something much louder.

The amp I bought is a hifonics 1500.1, rated at 1000rms for 2 ohms and 500 for 4 ohms.

I am currently considering buying the kicker comprt 12, rated at 800 watts rms and 1600 watts max. It is also a shallow mount subwoofer. My first question is the kicker compR and compRT show no differenes other than one is shallow mount - does this affect the sound quality?

My second question is how good will this sound in a small ported box.

This is basically what i will have, only i have a different box of similar size/ may get a custom box built of a small size.

CompRT Loaded Enclosures | KICKER

The main point of this is, will I be satisfied going from the 150watt subwoofer to the 800 watt, and will that particular subwoofer perform well in the conditions described.

it's like buying the same vehicle you already have but the new one has power windows instead of a hand crank. you will notice some but not enough to be worth the cost, if it were me I would look at different brands that will be the same price point and slightly more. for example a soundqubed HDS3 12" will be louder and better sq and it runs $159.00, sundown audio sa-12 is $199, DC audio level2 $199, just a few examples of whats out there that I feel will be a better choice.

it's like buying the same vehicle you already have but the new one has power windows instead of a hand crank. you will notice some but not enough to be worth the cost, if it were me I would look at different brands that will be the same price point and slightly more. for example a soundqubed HDS3 12" will be louder and better sq and it runs $159.00, sundown audio sa-12 is $199, DC audio level2 $199, just a few examples of whats out there that I feel will be a better choice.

The DC Audio level 2 doesn't offer enough power, however the 3 seems just right. What can you tell me about these subs?

I had a dc lvl 4 twelve d2, in about 1.6 tuned to 32hrtz, on an saz1500v3 at 1ohm. Got low and loud. Only reason I don't still have it is I wanted to try a set of dd redline 608s. I really enjoyed the authority that the lvl 4 played with, not just lows, but with depth to it. Check with mylows10, he can help with anything dc related, and pretty much everything else, as well. Good luck, dude.

I had a dc lvl 4 twelve d2, in about 1.6 tuned to 32hrtz, on an saz1500v3 at 1ohm. Got low and loud. Only reason I don't still have it is I wanted to try a set of dd redline 608s. I really enjoyed the authority that the lvl 4 played with, not just lows, but with depth to it. Check with mylows10, he can help with anything dc related, and pretty much everything else, as well. Good luck, dude.
it's funny because I ended up with that Level 4 of yours. And sold it off. Wasn't loud enough ;-)

I was more looking for low than loud. Still am, next set up is a set of tc sounds tc2000 12s, they have an fs of 20hrtz. To each, his own. That's understandable, what sounds good to one, can sound so-so, or even bad, to another.

The Sundown SA doesnt seem like it would be powerful enough in a 12, i wouldnt be buying two.

Okay I know this thread is everywhere but i measured my area. I have 10" wide, 13" long space. It can be however high it needs to be. I really need to know first, is this enough space for an enclosure? The wood is 3/4 inch, plus carpet. My current box has the sub slanted. Could I get a sub into this, full sized, with enough air space?

I'm kindof leaning towards that DC3 right now but I havent quite decided. I really want something low and powerful that can also hit higher notes as well

The DC Audio level 2 doesn't offer enough power, however the 3 seems just right. What can you tell me about these subs?
Only DC worth messing with is LV5 and up and even then they'll do better with non DC softparts.

I was more looking for low than loud. Still am, next set up is a set of tc sounds tc2000 12s, they have an fs of 20hrtz. To each, his own. That's understandable, what sounds good to one, can sound so-so, or even bad, to another.
I loved my TC2000's. They do exceptionally well tuned low.

The Sundown SA doesnt seem like it would be powerful enough in a 12, i wouldnt be buying two.
Okay I know this thread is everywhere but i measured my area. I have 10" wide, 13" long space. It can be however high it needs to be. I really need to know first, is this enough space for an enclosure? The wood is 3/4 inch, plus carpet. My current box has the sub slanted. Could I get a sub into this, full sized, with enough air space?

I'm kindof leaning towards that DC3 right now but I havent quite decided. I really want something low and powerful that can also hit higher notes as well
I'd search the classifieds section. There's often some high quality 12's that come up in the 250$ range, particularly this close to Christmas.... don't be afraid to lowball when people need money!

Definitely make a solid box. NOTHING you buy will sound good in a prefab.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.