Is my Sub Box messed up

Participant count
  • Participant list
About a month ago I bought a custom box of craigslist from my area for $85. I looked over it all good no cracks seems missing. Looked like a nice well build box. Dimensions of it where 36 x 14 x 21.5in with a port 6 x 13 and length of 25.75in. Now realizes that my box was tuned much higher than I wanted. I got some mdf and wood glue to decrease the port width. Now my problem is I only decrease the width of the first 14.75in of the port, or to the 90 degree turn. So I am worried that I have messed up my box and will have to buy a new one.

Here are the blueprints for the modified box

17536ef6ee5bb0f35942c378eea1374b.png
c21780af15baf6144a7b7aa6279ba86b.png

add to the red. How much thickness are you adding? You do know the port wall is different from the port length right? and your height measurements dont add up. in a slot port you have thickness of mdf which is .75 inches. You stated 14 and 13 for port height. They need to be 1.5 which is the thickness of top and bottom mdf

to measure port length, you are actually going down the center line of the port. Like the red line in this pic

42cubes34hz70sqin5jr.png

add to the red. How much thickness are you adding? You do know the port wall is different from the port length right? and your height measurements dont add up. in a slot port you have thickness of mdf which is .75 inches. You stated 14 and 13 for port height. They need to be 1.5 away from each other.
Oh that is my bad the height is 14.5 not 14. So add to just the red. But how much?

yeah you took off a little bit too much.

your enclosure is now 34.5 in width not 36 anymore. You have to subtract around 0.2 cubic feet away from net airspace from the added thickness to the ports inside.

If you add 3 inches to the 2nd port then you would be even all around tuned to 29-30hz around 3.8 cubic feet. However, you'll have very little port area, you might or might not get some port noise and lose some efficiency. it'll hit lower but not louder.

yeah you took off a little bit too much.
your enclosure is now 34.5 in width not 36 anymore. You have to subtract around 0.2 cubic feet away from net airspace from the added thickness to the ports inside.

If you add 3 inches to the 2nd port then you would be even all around tuned to 29-30hz around 3.8 cubic feet. However, you'll have very little port area, you might or might not get some port noise and lose some efficiency. it'll hit lower but not louder.
I am looking for it to hit as loud as it can. I do care about lows but prefer it to be louder. So how would I go about doing that. Also thank you for the fast replys and being so helpful.

you might just want to build a new box, if you have woodworking skills, the design i posted earlier is 4.2 cubic feet tuned to 34hz with 16 cubic feet of port area which is fine for those xfls.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.