Get low and loud sub convo between buddies...

FineLinePimpin
10+ year member

Stuck in WV
So a buddy of mine and me were having a convo last week. He hates the idea of my Skar MA8's mainly because they are made overseas. So the convo went as follows...

Hes a **** good installer and likes SQ over SPL which is cool and asked why i always get this odd name or chinese made subs.

I said dude I just like to be different and try new subs..I tell him that one year i went through 5 different brands just to try new things.

He said he could get two 10in L5 subs on 400w each to hit lower and louder than just about any 12in out there from china and these off brand names I like.

I said ehh never really been a fan of the square subs but I do like sealed boxes..the Kappa Perfect 12in I have in the wifeys stang hit pretty low for what it is...and I had two of those in my last bronco..and yeah they were awesome.I also reminded him how hard my ED 15's hit and surprised him when he installed them and had never even heard of Elementel Designs.

Thats the bulk of the convo....

So here goes.... what 12in sub...get low and loud but still sounds good in a smallish sealed box for 250 and under....oh and its gotta be made in the USA. I may even pick up a pair and throw them in my Jeep just to prove him wrong lol. So what ya got guys????

For something new, made 100% in the US....

the JL 12w6v2 is a real good, low playing sub but she has a price tag new....

used on the other hand...could be had for this budget.

Yeah the JL's ive never found were worth the asking price...the old school round solos..ran one of those in a 15in sub with 600w on it and wasnt overly inpressed with the spl....switched over to an Orion 15, dont remember which one but I think an HCCA but not sure, and it impressed me more. I thought the cheaper kickers were made over seas and the higher lines here but had no idea they were all made in china lol. I forgot all ab out the SSA's, they still made in the us...thats cool!

Hmm forgot about DC subs as well....who sells them as they dont have pricing or buy here info on thier site?

sealed (yuck)

if your going for sq and in a jeep nothings wrong with a port (way more efficient on low power and free dbs) i've been and audio engineer for 7+ years (check my sig) all of the best studio monitors ive worked with are bass reflex throw that sq crap out the window ....same applies in a car its all in the box design, and how it acts in its ...if you want "tighter lowend" go 4th order but its really driver dependent i've had some low budget subs do work in them the suspensions might not like it but who cares

-im a port man dont let me force my beliefs on you (even though i tried) its just my .02-

Not saying going strickly for sq...but also not looking at a sub that needs a giant *** box. But sincde the sub HE was talking about ,The L5 or L7, would be in a sealed box thats what I was looking to to compare to. My Skar's are in a ported box tuned to 34hz and its the first ported box ive run in YEARS.

Ssa icon hands down though ported would be better, and I'd bet you buddy would crap himself if he heard my American bass hd12. It's on 2k and in a ported box but its loud low and sounds great

So a buddy of mine and me were having a convo last week. He hates the idea of my Skar MA8's mainly because they are made overseas. So the convo went as follows...
Hes a **** good installer and likes SQ over SPL which is cool and asked why i always get this odd name or chinese made subs.

I said dude I just like to be different and try new subs..I tell him that one year i went through 5 different brands just to try new things.

He said he could get two 10in L5 subs on 400w each to hit lower and louder than just about any 12in out there from china and these off brand names I like.

I said ehh never really been a fan of the square subs but I do like sealed boxes..the Kappa Perfect 12in I have in the wifeys stang hit pretty low for what it is...and I had two of those in my last bronco..and yeah they were awesome.I also reminded him how hard my ED 15's hit and surprised him when he installed them and had never even heard of Elementel Designs.

Thats the bulk of the convo....

So here goes.... what 12in sub...get low and loud but still sounds good in a smallish sealed box for 250 and under....oh and its gotta be made in the USA. I may even pick up a pair and throw them in my Jeep just to prove him wrong lol. So what ya got guys????
obsidians skars sundown sa12s. audioque hdc3 12 (assembled by digital designs in usa) any fi sub. ssa gcon. dc lvl 3 or 4 and tons of other subs. have splaudio build you a beast and show ur buddy that. also your friend is an idiot and l3s/l5s/l7s/cvrs/comps/cvxs are all huge jokes in the audio world. tell him to stick to making systems pretty not giving advice on how to make em sound good.

one more thing, dont bother with sealed. ever. just dont.

obsidians skars sundown sa12s. audioque hdc3 12 (assembled by digital designs in usa) any fi sub. ssa gcon. dc lvl 3 or 4 and tons of other subs. have splaudio build you a beast and show ur buddy that. also your friend is an idiot and l3s/l5s/l7s/cvrs/comps/cvxs are all huge jokes in the audio world. tell him to stick to making systems pretty not giving advice on how to make em sound good.
Little bit harsh man, if set up properly kickers perform fine, there is better for the money though and I enjoy being louder than the guys in town with 2 l7s and 1500w but I have seen and heard a few kicker systems that performed. I bought a pair of comp 10s for my old truck and I could put money on it that you would've thought they were bigger subs. But they were in a big box and they were on 1200w. They were still shiny an golden when I sold them

lol yeah that is a bit harsh...i have been doing some checking on the qudioque hdc's....arent they more an spl sub. I have heard they get crazy loud but are they a clean sounding sub for daily use under 800w each. The main reason I said sealed is because not everyone has room for a BIG ported box. If I had of went with a larger sub, instead of my 8's , I probably would have gone sealed as i did not want to take up any more space than my box already is. Most of the 10-12's ive seen that take a small ported box need 1-1.5 for each sub..so 2-3cu-ft total...about twice the size my box is now. Yes i could have gone with one sub but that wasnt the arguement I was having.

Assembled in the US like pretty much everything else.
DC level 3
Umm....

Assembled? The entire w6v2 sub, all of it is made in Miramar......

I was just down there for a Lexus tech training class...which is in the same business complex as the JL manufacturing facility.

Yes, I had the tour and I got to watch a 10w6v3(yes a new one...) get made from near scratch.

Watched them wind the coil, use the lathes and tooling to make the motors(seen a w7 motor being built) and watched them make/form the cone as well....

And then I got to "finger bang" the sub when it was still "warm".

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.