Gain Setting

Originally posted by TRAVIESO What should I set my gain setting at?

I have a Pionner DEH-P940MP 6volt preouts

Crossfire VR1000D 240mV-6V

Crossfire VR804 150mV-3.2V
What ever sound good...

If the subs start to cut out or sound distorted......thats too much...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

EDIT>>> it doesnt matter what amp you have...or does it?

you want to match the headunit prevolt to the gains on the amp. so 6v. or before distortion occures...whatever one comes first.

Originally posted by mattj you want to match the headunit prevolt to the gains on the amp. so 6v. or before distortion occures...whatever one comes first.
Can you keep the gain up if it isn't distorting? I have 4 volt pre outs, and can turn the gains a good ways past 4 volts on the amp without it distorting?

Originally posted by Aurorav8 Can you keep the gain up if it isn't distorting? I have 4 volt pre outs, and can turn the gains a good ways past 4 volts on the amp without it distorting?
then you get clipping...

Originally posted by Aurorav8 Can you keep the gain up if it isn't distorting? I have 4 volt pre outs, and can turn the gains a good ways past 4 volts on the amp without it distorting?
The numbers don't mean much. First of all, the 4 volt spec is at max volume on the HU and typically we set amp gains with 2/3 - 3/4 volume. You'll have significantly less than 4 v at that point.

you have room to give or take a tad bit...but if you have the ears...you can hear it clipping at high volume.

Originally posted by mattj you have room to give or take a tad bit...but if you have the ears...you can hear it clipping at high volume.
I can typically turn it up to 28 out of 35 before it starts to audibly distort, but never have it up past 23~25 (depending on music). Just figured I could kick the gain up a tiny bit since it's doesn't start distorting till 28, just to give the music a bit more kick.

Originally posted by Aurorav8 I can typically turn it up to 28 out of 35 before it starts to audibly distort, but never have it up past 23~25 (depending on music). Just figured I could kick the gain up a tiny bit since it's doesn't start distorting till 28, just to give the music a bit more kick.
go ahead...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.