Gain setting what am I or did I do wrong.

Participant count
  • Participant list

2006F150Screw
10+ year member

Problem setting gains I guess but my radar detector and seat belt reminder chimer is louder than this setup. I figured this system would be ear splitting loud.

I figured my gain settings to be 24.49 on Lrx-2.500 (sqrt of 200x4) and on the Lrx2.250 to be 20 (sqrt of 100x4)

Any suggestions would be great.

Here is my system setup:

-2006 Ford F150 Super Crew

-Pioneer AVIC-D2 Navigation Head unit.

-Audison Lrx-2.500 (200w x 2 @ 4 ohms rms) powering 6.5 " Rainbow Germanium

Comps.

-Audison Lrx-2.250 (120w x 2 @ 4 ohms rms) powering 6.5" Rainbow Coax.

-JL Audio 500/1 powering JL Audio 10Wv2 sub in a stealth box.

Audison amps are both wired from head unit to the input on the amps (not the output).

I'm running passive setup.

I used both 50 hz, 60 hz, and 1000 hz test tone (not at once but independently and than hooked speakers up after each test tone and turned radio on but not much different)

I tried setting gains using DMM with the DMM leads hooked into the speaker terminals on amp.

I have all eq settings on HU either off or set to flat.

I have volume on HU set @ 47 (75 % of max volume on radio which is 62).

I tried with both low pass and high pass filters on amp turned off and also tried with filters turned on. and set the Lrx2-500 gain setting to 24.49 on DMM and on the Lrx2.250 gain setting till I got 20 on DMM.

After doing this I was all excited turned truck on cranked radio to 48 and just wasn't don't know how to say it LOUD (it was loud but not LLLLOOOOUUUDD).

Even tried after this turning EQ on and messing with settings and low mid and high freq. are set @ +2.

Any suggestions are recommendations or something I did wrong please help me.

Below is the link to the settings on the Audison amps.

http://www.audison.it/content/eng_lrx2manuale.pdf

What kind of music do you listen 2?

If rap use a 50hz -3db test tone. and then pop in some music with lots of bass.

Like late night tip. and listen for any distortion or the notice the sub stressing making noises ect.....

Reason is cause most rap peaks around -3db to -6db so using a 0db test tone you will not get full output from the amp.

I had the same problem and using a -3db test tone was like night and day.

But for showing off to you friends ect.. can cause problems.

First thing after setting it all up using a -3db test tone grab a 0 db test tone and pop it in.

Hook up a dmm to the speaker leads on the amp and turn up the volume till it reaches the voltage you set the gains at.

Make sure you take note of what the volume was at.

Reason for doing that is cause when you pop in 0db test tone or sweep to burp you know what you can turn it up to before clipin

play some music on your hu, set volume on hu to about 1/2 or 3/4 adjust amps by ear until it all sounds good, ears>dmms.

play some music on your hu, set volume on hu to about 1/2 or 3/4 adjust amps by ear until it all sounds good, ears>dmms.
Cant always just go by ear.

My buddy amps. gain half way up, head unit 3/4 gives him his voltage with a 0db test tone. turn the gain a cut hair more and it jumps like 15 volts.

Rock/Metal/Jazz/Classical – Most of the songs in this genre had peaks in the -12 to -6 dB range. I recommend using 0 dB, -3 dB, or -6 dB tones if you primarily listen to these genres.

So I would use a -6db tone and listen for stressing, distortion ect... and turn it down alittle if you notice any thing not normal.

-10dB tones is the only way to set gains.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif on Pioneer HUs set your gain with all processing off and volume 61/62.

Bump for what. Seems like you got a lot of good suggestions.

If you used a 0dB tone that is most likely your problem. If you did you are likely using ~1/10th of your systems possible power on lower recorded material.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.