Gain overlap

Participant count
  • Participant list

CplCuddles

Certified Meme Warrior
Hey guys,

So I have a couple things I want to understand a little better. I understand how gain overlap works. What I'm not sure of is, for example if I set my sub amp with a -10db tone and I play a song with the loudest bass note at -11db, it would play at -1db, correct? So then if I play a song at -7.5db it would play at +2.5db? At which point does clipping occur in theory? +.1db? I know that clipping doesn't mean that it is inherently damaging your woofer, how can I gauge when too much is too much? I'd prefer a numerical explanation if possible. I understand numbers better.

Thanks guise!

He means using a -10db test tone to set his gain. OP...any amount of clipping can damage your sub imo.
But that's not true though clipping itself doesn't hurt the sub. It's all about the heat caused by it etc etc.

Hey guys,
So I have a couple things I want to understand a little better. I understand how gain overlap works. What I'm not sure of is, for example if I set my sub amp with a -10db tone and I play a song with the loudest bass note at -11db, it would play at -1db, correct? So then if I play a song at -7.5db it would play at +2.5db? At which point does clipping occur in theory? +.1db? I know that clipping doesn't mean that it is inherently damaging your woofer, how can I gauge when too much is too much? I'd prefer a numerical explanation if possible. I understand numbers better.

Thanks guise!
If you are listening to music use some music and set it where it sounds good. If you are chasing numbers use a meter and set it where it meters best.

Assuming your sig line is accurate you should have plenty of warning (smell) before you can really hurt your sub.... if your box is designed properly it should be nearly impossible to break it mechanically.

0db tones in the middle of the filters for mids/highs

no tones, just ears for sub amps. you're not going to get "decent" power after rise without a soft clip in most circumstances anyways unless you're a weirdo like me who has a taramps bass 12k on one sub

0db tones in the middle of the filters for mids/highs
no tones, just ears for sub amps. you're not going to get "decent" power after rise without a soft clip in most circumstances anyways unless you're a weirdo like me who has a taramps bass 12k on one sub
I use a -5db tone for my mids, just because I've never actually seen a song with basically anything over -10db on higher notes. How are you supposed to set with your ears without a tone? if you set with a song that hits at -5db, might as well use a -5db tone. I don't get it my dude.

I use a -5db tone for my mids, just because I've never actually seen a song with basically anything over -10db on higher notes. How are you supposed to set with your ears without a tone? if you set with a song that hits at -5db, might as well use a -5db tone. I don't get it my dude.
because bass in music is recorded at completely different levels? I have to adjust my sub level on almost every single song

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.