Gain levels vs. RMS power

Participant count
  • Participant list

Fonzy
10+ year member

Canada
I have 2 kenwood subs rated at 150 RMS each. I went to a local audio store and I was looking at an alpine V12 amp. its rated at 225 RMS x2. The guy who works there came along, I told him what subs I had and he said "You can use this amp if you turn the gain levels down". Im thinking to myself "Gain and RMS power are two different things and if you connect too much RMS power to a sub youre gonna blow it no matter what the gain is set at" Am I right?

No...

The gain controls are there to control the output of the amplifier, in order to match it to your head unit. In your case, yes, you can turn the gains down and get the effect you are after (about 150wrms). You actually get a few benefits from that, mostly a much lower noise floor, so you have less chance of system noise, and then the added headroom from your amp is a good thing too.

If you have someone that knows how to level match a system set it, you'll never damage your subs.

Right now the subs are underpowered by an Ample amp (150x1 bridged RMS...according to Ample). Does that mean by having the gain not turned all the way up im actually not giving the subs 150 RMS? Im looking at it that way, thats why I figured gain and power were two seperate issues.

No. The gain control on the amp is used to adjust the amp's inputs to the head unit's line output. When set correctly you'll get full power from the amp when the head unit's volume control is at max (or wherever you want it). It's for matching the head unit to the amp. If you turn it "all the way up" the amp will reach full power when the head unit's volume control is just barely cracked.

The best way to set it is with an oscilloscope. You put the head unit volume up to the highest undistorted level then adjust the amp gain until the amp just starts clipping. If you don't have a scope you have to use your ears - but that's a biatch because it's hard to hear when the amp clips on bass notes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.