gain all the way up but no distortion or clipping?

Participant count
  • Participant list
How are you testing for distortion?
by ear.

i turned my head unit 3/4 of the way up and then played this 40hz test. then i went to the back and turned my gain up slowly waiting to hear some distortion but there was none. so now i have it set at the max input level.

by ear.
i turned my head unit 3/4 of the way up and then played this 40hz test. then i went to the back and turned my gain up slowly waiting to hear some distortion but there was none. so now i have it set at the max input level.
I wouldn't trust your ears.

Most likely your HU isn't putting out its max signal power to the RCAs. Therefore you can turn the gain all the way up.

Turn the gain down. I give myself temporary partial hearing loss by setting the gain with a test tone and the sub hooked up, so your hearing is getting saturated. It's safer to set the gain with the sub disconnected and an oscilloscope to monitor the waveform, but you can settle for the DMM method and get it half-assed tuned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.