Fuse size for big 3?

no fuse on my big three... with the amount of zip ties i have on the wire securing the alt to batt wire.... good luck!!!!! that bad boy aint going no where.... unless something magicly cut it and shunted to ground!!!! witch i dought!!

no fuse on my big three... with the amount of zip ties i have on the wire securing the alt to batt wire.... good luck!!!!! that bad boy aint going no where.... unless something magicly cut it and shunted to ground!!!! witch i dought!!

Do you mean, "Which I doubt"?

I don't put a fuse in on the big 3 unless there was a fuse in the factory wiring. That is when I upgrade from the factory size to 1/0 or bigger I won't put in a fuse if the factory wiring did not have it. I would however plan on putting the fuse in closest to the battery if you are going to do it. I would concider also tightly securing all nuts and bolts and connections, also either zip tie the wire or use some other form of cabling it to the vehicle to make sure that it is secure and will not rub on anything and ware through the protective shieth.

Well, what if you get in a wreck, that normally wouldn't total your ride. Instead, the wire gets bumped loose, and catches your car/battery on fire...massive damage. Ever see batteries explode? They'll destroy front clips and fenders.

**** happens, doesn't matter how badass of an installer you may think you are

As mentioned, if using 1/0....fuse it with a 300A fuse...for longer runs of 1/0 you'll need a smaller fuse such as a 250. Alt + to Batt + is pretty short though so yeah, 300A.

A wreck could easily knock the best connections around, the battery shifts, etc. I don't understand why someone would spend hundreds of dollars on equipment, thousands on a car, and not spend 15 bucks for an inline fuse holder and fuse. It's a worst case scenario protectant, but it's better than having a blown up battery.

A wreck could easily knock the best connections around, the battery shifts, etc. I don't understand why someone would spend hundreds of dollars on equipment, thousands on a car, and not spend 15 bucks for an inline fuse holder and fuse. It's a worst case scenario protectant, but it's better than having a blown up battery.
Even with a wreck the alt + could pull out of the fuseholder and ground out. You are screwed either way so you might as well be cool and not fuse. This way you won't lose .01 of a volt:laugh:

Even with a wreck the alt + could pull out of the fuseholder and ground out. You are screwed either way so you might as well be cool and not fuse. This way you won't lose .01 of a volt:laugh:
Yes, but the engine probably won't be running afte the crash. If the alternator were to ground out, it would only be for a short time if at all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.