Participant count
  • Participant list

more_spl
10+ year member

only have 1, but it's 12"
Winnipeg
ok, unsureness strikes.

heres the scenario:::::

installed deck in a 1985 car (so it's older..)

now im more than certain, that this fuse ONLY blows when the deck is on/playing.

these are the functions of the fuse that is blowing::

courtesty lamps, key warning buzzer, clock, illuminated entry, CB memory, etc..

The fuse is a 15A that keeps blowing. soooo, im wondering, is it safe to step up to a 20A, or 25A fuse and see if it stops blowing? i need my analog clock and interior lights.

::pLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION TOO::

Reason im asking is cuz while we were doing the install, a relay box hit a piece of metal inside the car and sparked, so we were unsure if it was a short or not... But on the way home, i didnt power up the head unit, and the lights and clock fuse didnt blow.. So is it safe to assume that the head unit is pulling too much amperage for that 15A fuse?

I had somthing similar happen in my 86 cutlass when I mistakenly connected the decks ground wire to the dimmer wire from the car, reground your deck elswhere and see if that stops it.

I had somthing similar happen in my 86 cutlass when I mistakenly connected the decks ground wire to the dimmer wire from the car, reground your deck elswhere and see if that stops it.
the deck is grounded to a piece of perfect ground underneath the dash, how will finding a new place make a difference??

The thing is, the fuse isnt blowing when i am driving the car and the deck has not been powered on... But when the deck goes on, it blows a few seconds afterwards?

Did you use a wiring harness to connect to the factory harness or did you cut off the factory plug and hard wire it, it really sounds like you connected a wire wrong.

Nomatter what your gonna havta pull the deck out and check your wires.

BTW- Is the fuse on the deck a 10amp, if it is then there is no way it could pull enough current to blow the 15amp fuse and not blow the 10.

Did you use a wiring harness to connect to the factory harness or did you cut off the factory plug and hard wire it, it really sounds like you connected a wire wrong.
Nomatter what your gonna havta pull the deck out and check your wires.

BTW- Is the fuse on the deck a 10amp, if it is then there is no way it could pull enough current to blow the 15amp fuse and not blow the 10.
good question about the deck amp. 3 years ago when i originally had it installed by a shop, they cut off the fuse line for it.. so i dont know. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.