fuse big 3?

accuab
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
On the big 3 thread when talking about the alt to battery wire, it says that a fuse is optional. When would it be needed to use a fuse on this wire? And should the fuse be whatever the alternator is rated at?

if your going to fuise it allw for full amperage from your alt to get to your battery. its not needed but it is safer to do.
To allow for full amperage, how would I know what fuse to use? Would that just be what the alt is rated at?

On another note, what fuse should be in the power wire to the amp? Equivalent to the fusing of the amp itself? I know most people just leave the fuse in there that came with an installation kit but was wondering what is the correct value to use.

To allow for full amperage, how would I know what fuse to use? Would that just be what the alt is rated at?
On another note, what fuse should be in the power wire to the amp? Equivalent to the fusing of the amp itself? I know most people just leave the fuse in there that came with an installation kit but was wondering what is the correct value to use.
What ever fuse rating your amp is

If you fuse the wire going from battery to Alt how is that going to offer any protection?

if the wire shorts out on the exhaust for example, the fuse will pop at the battery but will still be shorted from the Alt to the exhaust causing large electrical problems.

The most important thing to do is use TechFlex on the wire and wire tie it in a way that it cannot contact anything moving or hot.

I did not fuse mine and I feel very safe with my setup.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.