Fun new 8" Woofer I'm working on

Not all of the parts are done yet - only some of them. I am still waiting on pics myself //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Rest assured I'll post them immediately !

i know this is a stupid question, but what the hell is a shorting ring?
The magnetic field generated by the voice coil affects the magnetic field inside the motor, changing it... a Faraday or shorting ring short circuits these fields... this results in less inductance and distortion, at the cost of having to use a slightly wider gap and reduced sensitivity... there are several different ways to implement them however, and millage may vary...

Noticed this on caco and wasn't updated here...

The main update is bad news guys. The factory that was producing our surround' date=' cone, dust cap, and spider for this driver was destroyed in the disaster in Japan. As this is an ultra high-end unit we were utilized some of the more specialized technology available from this supplier in Japan for these parts. That explains why I have not heard anything in a while. From what I was told by my contact several workers were killed, some are still missing, and the building is completely wiped out.
The frame, motor, magnet boot, and coil are made in China so should proceed normally. I should have more on the frame within two weeks as things are getting back on track in China.

Of course the soft parts set-back will delay the product overall significantly. [/quote']

X8boot.jpg

* Image linked from sundownonly.com (online dealer) *

Well... I got the magnet boot in. It's as big around as the SA-8 gasket //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Now you can get an idea of the scale of this thing.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

I'm expecting something on the frame soon...

As for the soft parts -- we are expecting an additional 8 weeks due to the Japanese disaster.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.