Fun Hissing Sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

bfillmer
10+ year member

I have a set of Sony XS-HF500G components set up in the front of my 1991 Integra. These things sound incredible, except for the hissing sound I get when I am on a silent part of a CD. After taking it to several different car audio shops here in town the best we can figure is that I am picking up the whirring of the head unit's motor (Sony CDX-CA860X ). All the wire connections are secure, the wire is all 16 guage, and best we can figure there is not much I can do.

Also, when picking up a radio station in stereo the problem does not show up, when the song goes quiet there is no hissing.

Any suggestions?

reconfig your gain structure for a 3/1 overlap. meaning measure your HU unclipped max output using a 0dB test tone. Then set ALL processors and x-over to clip at the same time. Finally set the amp to 1/3 of that voltage.

Only some of what you said I could understand. I am not using any external amps, only the internal one built into my head unit. I also tried switching the crossover points on the crossovers, no help there.

sorry didn't see you don't have an amp. Choke coils in passive x-overs are a great way to pick up noise try moving them around to see if the noise stops.

Good idea, they are located pretty low right now, as in on the floor. Problem is that if you have ever seen the inside of a 3rd generation Integra you would know that there are not alot of places to put crap.

If the speaker still has a hiss no matter where you put the x-over try this. Get a test speaker and connect it dirrectly to the HU. If it still has a hiss the HU muting circuit could be bad.

so you used a test 5 1/4 an had no hissing? OR are you just stating you HAD a diferent setup without problems? Use test speaker to eliminate the HU as the cause.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.