electrics effecting qulity of sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

Majestic_roll
10+ year member

Hello every one

Well I am totally new to in car audio but I got hold of my first amp and set of 6 by 9s today.

The amp is a 4 channel 660 watt amp and the speakers are 200 watt each. Well at the moment I have set them up minus a head unit as I will be using my portable MP3 player/CD player via phono to jack cable. Well all is installed and works ok but my speakers seem to distort very easily and when ever I use any thing electrical in the car it makes the music crackle.

The car VW Beetle so the amp is next to engine in the back next to battery and the sound cables run straight to the front.

The power cable was taken form the (power on) to the original head unit

The amp has bass boost which is off

The amp has cross overs which are set to full other options are hpf lpf (can any one explain these to me?)

I am currently only using channel 1 and 2 phono in put and speaker out put

Gain is at 3quaters

There is a button called mode ch has option 1/3/4 mine is set on 3 (any info on this would be great too)

The amp is set up high and the portable players are set low when listening

The amp is a XSA 660 from http://www.bass-junkies.com

And the speakers are FURY 200 watt 4 ohm

Any help much appreciated

Majestic

Originally posted by Majestic_roll Hello every one

Well I am totally new to in car audio but I got hold of my first amp and set of 6 by 9s today.
cool, good start.
The amp is a 4 channel 660 watt amp and the speakers are 200 watt each. Well at the moment I have set them up minus a head unit as I will be using my portable MP3 player/CD player via phono to jack cable. Well all is installed and works ok but my speakers seem to distort very easily and when ever I use any thing electrical in the car it makes the music crackle.
are you refering to a cellphone? This will happen to anybody be cause of the high power radio freqs entering to signal cables and AMPs or HUs
The amp has cross overs which are set to full other options are hpf lpf (can any one explain these to me?)
Highpass- for highs,it cuts the BASS passing just the highs at a certain freq.
I am currently only using channel 1 and 2 phono in put and speaker out put

Gain is at 3quaters
Phono is a prong type connector used in headphones which you may have on the MP3 end BUT RCA jacks are whats on the AMP
There is a button called mode ch has option 1/3/4 mine is set on 3 (any info on this would be great too)
This tell the AMP how your wires speaker to it. For now untill you find info on your AMP which it to 4. Meaning 4 seperate channel of audio. 3 would be a pair of highs[6x9s] on 2 seperate channels and 1 sub runing off 2 channel[for added power]. 1 to ME means all four channels turn into a singal channel for a sub. But this is unheard of in a 4 channel AMP. Normally 4 channel will pair down to [bridge] 2 high power channels at the least. So you need to find info to see what the sector on the 1 position means.
The amp is set up high and the portable players are set low when listening
I don't know what you mean

Majestic

Thanks for all the help u have given me.

the poblem is the manual that cmae with the amp is so basic it dosnet tell u cnay thing and i have tryed researching all over the net with no results on the specific product.

When i was talking about electrical effecting amp i ment the indicators windscreen washers the lights and warning lights.

and the last point which u didnt undersand would be i have set the volume for the amp at 3 quaters while i have set the portable playesr volume low. is thsi correct or sould i set the amp low and the portable at a high volume.?

Thanks for all your help greatly appriciated.

Majestic

Originally posted by Majestic_roll Thanks for all the help u have given me.

the poblem is the manual that cmae with the amp is so basic it dosnet tell u cnay thing and i have tryed researching all over the net with no results on the specific product.

When i was talking about electrical effecting amp i ment the indicators windscreen washers the lights and warning lights.
you would need to bebug your system using muting plugs. Do this make some muting plugs. This is done by buying 4 cheap RCA jacks and shorting out the plugs. You short them out by connecting the center prong and the outer ring. Plug 2 into the remaining 2 channels on the AMP. Tell me if the noise stops.

and the last point which u didnt undersand would be i have set the volume for the amp at 3 quaters while i have set the portable playesr volume low. is thsi correct or sould i set the amp low and the portable at a high volume.?
Yea you want the most SIGNAL and the LEAST GAIN. So set in for volume up on players and down on gain.

i thought that it may be some thing to do with the power not being enough (i need a capacitor or soem thing) as when i used soem thing it kinda detratcted the amont of power going to the amp as the beetle is a 1972 car kida old not designed to suport a amp.

majestic

Originally posted by Majestic_roll i thought that it may be some thing to do with the power not being enough (i need a capacitor or soem thing) as when i used soem thing it kinda detratcted the amont of power going to the amp as the beetle is a 1972 car kida old not designed to suport a amp.

majestic
power isn't your problem signal is

Right so what i have to do is with the second pare of rca's is conect a cheap pair of cables and short it out is thsi correct? by touching the middle and outer parts of the plugs together?

will try tonight

Majestic

NO not cables just get some plugs from a parts store and short them out. Buy 4 cause if this doesn't work we will have to do some trouble shooting with them anyway.

Ok well i tryed shorting it ith a old cable i had with one end and just put cable togther no diffrence i did find a lose conection in the cables that were soldered to the spekers that has been sorted but still the same the lights and windscreen wipers make the sound stop and start and interfirence

Majestic

Well i re ran the speaker cable as i was unhappy with the connections redid the shorting of the 2nd set of phonos thsi all improved it but still sound interferance and stoping and starting when lighst are put to high and low beam and hazzard lights are on but masivly reduced also when acelerating this dose not seem so bad any ideas yet?

Majestic

(ps spelling misstakes dont matter that much do they?)

using a full cable doesn't work as a muting plug. This is because the current must travel the total wire length a see rsisitance along the way. Using a RCA PLUG lets you have 0 impedance a key factor. As ohms law tells you that the highest voltage will be created arcross the highest resistance. You need RCA PLUGS to mute inputs. Buy 4 as we may need to mute ALL CHANNELS of your amp for trouble shooting

Originally posted by Majestic_roll  

(ps spelling misstakes dont matter that much do they?)
No they don't matter, but in all his posts about muting plugs I kept seeing bebug and I was wondering exactly what it meant, so I looked it up, and there is no such word that I found. Just wanted to pass it along to him. No harm meant.

yea I meant DEBUG but as i don't have typing skills and think faster than I type I do stuff like that. sometimes I forget to add prefixes or suffixes too

Right ok i see what i have to do cna i just strip the plugs down as my nearest audio place is like 3 quaters of an hour away and as i dont have my licence to drive yet i cnat get over there till like end of the week

Majestic

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Majestic_roll

10+ year member
Majestic_roll
Kent England
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from