fry's electronics install (warning: ugly)

grassroots
10+ year member

needs car audio rehab
ATL
so my buddy's m3 came with a system when he bought it but nothing worked. we bought two sets of 2 way polk speakers to replace the pos kappas that were in there and all the goodies to hook it up. when i finally looked at it, the wiring was so butchered you couldn't tell what was what. i honestly didn't even want to deal with it since i was doing it for free so he went to fry's who said they'd wire it all for 150 bucks (after talking them down from 250). well here's there handy work..

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

my friend called me after he picked it up to come and check it out and i was amazed that they let something like this leave the shop. it not only sounded like ****, but looked like it too. it also had some of the worst alt whine i've ever heard. we went back and the guy had a 100 excuses for everything. we pulled it in the install bay and i pretty much had to fix all of it and it took over 2 hours. we also threw in his old FI X 12... it was the head installer who did the install and he tried offering me a job after it all got hooked back up which i declined of course. bottom line, DO IT YOURSELF THE FIRST TIME...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bsflag.gif.21f42eccd34b7d1eb1608fb1b59b69c3.gif You probably did the first install and ****** and had to take your friends car to there since you ****.
/truth
go back under your rock. We havent missed you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bsflag.gif.21f42eccd34b7d1eb1608fb1b59b69c3.gif You probably did the first install and ****** and had to take your friends car to there since you ****.
/truth
nope sorry... kill yourself...

they did the entire install. they recommended the speakers and we bought them. back ones obviously didn't fit and his attempt to make them fit was horrendous. the "beauty ring" was missing and he couldn't get it to "snap" in, so you can pretty much just pull the head unit out freely.

we exchanged the 5.25s in the back for 4 inchers and i told him that i would make mounting rings myself.

another problem was all the speaker wire was mismatched to the amp, so front left was front right ect. i fixed that... the rca's they ran were going right over the cone of the right speaker in the kick panel and making it buzz like crazy, i fixed that too. where the rcas plugged into the head unit they were all bunched up, i pulled them out, electrical taped them and it stopped the alt whine. it was pretty funny working in their install bay by myself while they butchered another car next to my friends...

and why would i want a job there, i'm an electrician and make double what they do...

and no, no refund...

so you fixed his car in their install bay? that seems pretty weird that they would let you do that.
Yeah I highly doubt they'd do that for insurance purposes. You can't just take your car to a garage and start fixing it in their bay, even if they did **** it up.

Just seems like alot of legal issues.

1st-- go directly to the store manager and talk to him.

2nd-- fill out the comment cards that are available by the check out register. It will go directly to Randy Fry-owner/CEO and he'll get in contact with the store manager and he'll call you back.

You'll get a letter from Mr. Fry in the mail also.

I had some issues with the Fry's here in TX (not car install related but product warranty issues) I filled out the card, sent it in and got the letter + call from the store manager about my concerns.

They took care of me.

Hope you have good luck with it.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

3rd-- burn up the car on some deserted dirt road and collect the insurance $$$$$

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

Frys wouldnt have let the car go out like that. It looks like you all were trying to make stuff that didnt fit work. I had an 89 525i and tried to do the same thing. i had 6x9s in 5.25 bays. I had a radio installed at the one here in Illinois. They did a good job. they used the plastic cap things on my wires and everything. BB on the other hand butchered my car. when i got done with them on an Aurora i had another amp installed in, i had to go behind them and fix everything myself. they tried giving me an appointment date to fix their mistake. I have nothing against the employees there. I have something against the person that decided that the installer that did my car knew what he was doing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.