Front Left Speaker Intermittently Working

Participant count
  • Participant list

Trenty12

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
I have a VW passat B7 estate with OEM speakers/wiring but a JVC head unit. Been working fine for over a year but recently I have noticed the front left passenger speakers intermittently stop working which is pretty annoying!

Now im at a loss as to what the problem is. I have put another similar head unit in and also tried the original OEM stereo in but getting the same problem, so narrows it down to the speaker itself or the wiring.

I can change the driver speaker easily enough (hopefully) but before I go down that route I just wanted to ask a few questions:

1. Can speakers work intermittently? I just assumed they either work or they dont, not going on and off and on etc...

2. I have tweeters too so if it is the driver in the lower door area thats dying, should I expect noise to come out of the tweeter or would the whole lot go silent at the same time on the same side?

Im hoping its not the wiring as that could be a pain! Any way to check that?

Thanks

Most likely a wiring/harness issue. Do you have a factory amp or are your speakers all powered by the HU? It could be something very simple such as a slightly loose wiring harness.

Im assuming its all powered by the HU, all I did was take out the stock stereo and put the new one in using the connects2 adaptors.

I just find it odd that its happening on both HU's. I did wonder if it was the connects2 wiring but everything seems to be connected properly. But with the stock HU its just the one wiring block which seems to be connected snug, it has the hinge on that closes it in place.

I was hoping to swap out the speaker as the 'simple' fix but still not sure thats the problem.

If its the wiring then im a bit worried how to fix that and again find it odd thats its just happened all of a sudden

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.