Fresh install poor performance

Participant count
  • Participant list

PixleAxle

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello I am just getting into car audio and I have run into a major problem after full install into my Kia Optima 2015. My subwoofer has very low output even when playing songs at a high volume. I have the gain set at half and I need bass boosters to get any reasonable kind of output. I learned that bass boosters can be damaging so I turned them off. When I play songs at high volume, the cone barely moves and the side speakers easily overpower the sub. I am almost certain that my wiring is correct. I also confirmed that the ground is not the problem because I ran a 4 gauge wire directly from battery to amp for testing. I bought the sub, amp, box, and wiring in one kit so they are compatible. Please help! I have not changed any wiring in the box as it is connected at 1 ohm at subwoofer.

Amp: Rp-800.1d 800 watt monoblock at 1 ohm
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/rp-800-1d-car-amplifier

Sub(PreLoaded): SDR-12 12" 600 watt rms at 1 ohm
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/sdr-12-inch-car-subwoofer

HeadUnit: sony xav-ax1000
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV1000/Sony-XAV-AX1000.html

Speakers(4 total): JBL GTO629 6.5 inch Co-Axial Speaker
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANIECRQ/?tag=caraudiocom-20

WireKit: 4 gauge ofc
https://www.skaraudio.com/collectio...cts/skar4anl-ofc-4-gauge-amplifier-wiring-kit

Last edited:
Check your wiring with a multimeter to make sure you are wired to 1 ohm and not 4.

Is the subwoofer level turned up on the headunit?
Wdym the subwoofer level turned up? I have the EQ set to hip hop. I have the head unit high pass filter set at 80hz. I have a low pass filter set around 80 hz on the amplifier.

Most headunits have "subwoofer level" that can be turned up or down to increase or lower rca output voltage. I tried looking up info on your headunit and am not seeing anything on it having subwoofer level.

I see that headunit only has 1 RCA output for subwoofer. Did you use a splitter to both rca inputs on the amp?

Are you using a sealed or ported box? If ported did you set the subsonic filter?

I used a male to two female Y splitter which plugs directly into the single rca output on head unit. Then I ran the rca all the way back into the amplifier. My box is ported. I set the subsonic filter very low.

Sound Settings (Sound)
EXTRA BASS Reinforces bass sound in synchronization with the volume level: [OFF], [1], [2].

EQ10/Subwoofer Selects an equalizer curve and adjusts the subwoofer level. EQ10 Selects the equalizer curve: [OFF], [R&B], [Rock], [Pop], [Dance], [Hip-Hop], [EDM], [Jazz], [Soul], [Country], [Custom]. [Custom] adjusts the equalizer curve: –6 to +6.

Subwoofer Adjusts the volume level of the subwoofer: [OFF], –10 to +10.

Balance/Fader Adjusts the balance/fader level. Balance Adjusts the sound balance between the left and right speakers: [L15] to [R15].

Fader Adjusts the sound balance between the front and rear speakers: [Front 15] to [Rear 15].

Crossover Adjusts the cut-off frequency and subwoofer phase.

High Pass Filter Selects the cut-off frequency of the front/rear speakers: [OFF], [50Hz], [60Hz], [80Hz], [100Hz], [120Hz].

Low Pass Filter Selects the cut-off frequency of the subwoofer: [OFF], [50Hz], [60Hz], [80Hz], [100Hz], [120Hz].

Subwoofer Phase Selects the subwoofer phase: [Normal], [Reverse].

DSO (Dynamic Stage Organizer) Enhances audio output: [OFF], [Low], [Middle], [High]

This is from your owners manual

Sound Settings (Sound)
EXTRA BASS Reinforces bass sound in synchronization with the volume level: [OFF], [1], [2].

EQ10/Subwoofer Selects an equalizer curve and adjusts the subwoofer level. EQ10 Selects the equalizer curve: [OFF], [R&B], [Rock], [Pop], [Dance], [Hip-Hop], [EDM], [Jazz], [Soul], [Country], [Custom]. [Custom] adjusts the equalizer curve: –6 to +6.

Subwoofer Adjusts the volume level of the subwoofer: [OFF], –10 to +10.

Balance/Fader Adjusts the balance/fader level. Balance Adjusts the sound balance between the left and right speakers: [L15] to [R15].

Fader Adjusts the sound balance between the front and rear speakers: [Front 15] to [Rear 15].

Crossover Adjusts the cut-off frequency and subwoofer phase.

High Pass Filter Selects the cut-off frequency of the front/rear speakers: [OFF], [50Hz], [60Hz], [80Hz], [100Hz], [120Hz].

Low Pass Filter Selects the cut-off frequency of the subwoofer: [OFF], [50Hz], [60Hz], [80Hz], [100Hz], [120Hz].

Subwoofer Phase Selects the subwoofer phase: [Normal], [Reverse].

DSO (Dynamic Stage Organizer) Enhances audio output: [OFF], [Low], [Middle], [High]

This is from your owners manual

I believe I figured out what you're talking about. It is a sort of hidden dial in the equalizer settings. What is the highest I should change that subwoofer setting too without damage?

Most headunits have "subwoofer level" that can be turned up or down to increase or lower rca output voltage. I tried looking up info on your headunit and am not seeing anything on it having subwoofer level.

I see that headunit only has 1 RCA output for subwoofer. Did you use a splitter to both rca inputs on the amp?

Are you using a sealed or ported box? If ported did you set the subsonic filter?
I have the same head unit in my F250 and yes, there's a subwoofer level control. I never had to mess with it myself so I actually just went outside to check it out.
From the home screen swipe right, click "settings' then click "sound" (I think there's a way to get there form the remote as well).

I do believe there is only 1 subwoofer out as well, so either use more gain at the amp or use a Y splitter. My 6 channel amp has summed inputs for whatever channel combo you have and in my Jeep I always run a pre-amp so I never needed to mess with that stuff in the head units.

Thank You for the help! The subwoofer setting was hidden in the equalizer settings. I am new so I am not comfortable changing those settings so I changed it to "Hip-Hop" and stayed away. There is much more output coming from the subwoofer now!

Don't be afraid to use that as needed. I've had great results with those Sony head units for several years now myself and they seem to provide good clean signal all the way up through the dial.

Hopefully you're sorted out now. Apart from the pre-fab box you should have a good starter system going there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...