Found my next sub, FI Q 15" Sealed

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
So as some of you guys know I wasted a ton of money on JL 12w6 and the JL Amps as well. But after reading some reviews and looking at the price tag of the Fi Q line up it seems like the next best thing to step up to. Deadset on going sealed but fairly certain this sub, perhaps two is what will give me the loudness and kick I crave. While the 12w6 is an amazing sub with great accuracy and some kick it seems I crave more bass. At what point have you guys strayed away from SQ and go for SPL. Just toying with the idea right now as I just bought the previous setup and would like to continue fine tuning it and eliminating anything that can impede on the potential of the whole setup.

I think this is a way better idea then going for the way overpriced 13w7s. And I know most of you JL haters would agree //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A lot of guys don't really hate jl. Just the fact that retail is absolutely insane and shops pull the wool over people's eyes when they are just getting into this addiction. But instead of two I'd do one ported in around 4 cubes tuned to taste would be nice. Those qs are a good sub. Your making the right call going fi over jl. Hopefully this one does justice for you.

Also to each is their own but a lot of guys go for loud and sounding good. I personally want to have the spl but not sacrifice sound quality much. Pure sq build. No. Not even close. Loud and clean. Yes. You don't have to sacrifice sound quality to be loud.

Sealed is just not the way to to. Ported will sound just as clean and LOUDER. I personally have never heard a sealed setup that I liked... I've heard some 4th orders that were awesome... that's kinda a sealed box into a ported box. Lol now a days sealed is old news

Sealed is just not the way to to. Ported will sound just as clean and LOUDER. I personally have never heard a sealed setup that I liked... I've heard some 4th orders that were awesome... that's kinda a sealed box into a ported box. Lol now a days sealed is old news
It seems i need to try this sub in a well made ported box before i contemplate bigger sealed sub huh.

I will always love JL. I remember making my first box in wood shop back in 9th grade for my 85 Chevy. Three JL 10s on a Fosgate amp. Alpine head unit. Honestly can't remember what speakers where in the doors.

The jl would appreciate a good ported box yes. Get someone to help you with the design and then go to lowes or Home Depot. They will cut the wood for you if needed, screw and glue, cut sub hole, jam out. Building a box can seem hard at first but speaking first hand I promise after you get the hang of it you'll never want to pay someone again.

Here's one i just did for my truck for two sundown x 15s. I'm still no expert or try to be one. I just can't pay someone 2-300$ for a box.

j0xle0.jpg

2iuztwg.jpg

The jl would appreciate a good ported box yes. Get someone to help you with the design and then go to lowes or Home Depot. They will cut the wood for you if needed, screw and glue, cut sub hole, jam out. Building a box can seem hard at first but speaking first hand I promise after you get the hang of it you'll never want to pay someone again.
Yeah the idea of building my own box is a bit scary. Im not good at wood working at all. Have a difficult time cutting straight. But if lowes can cut the wood for me, thatd take a load off my mind

I say all this because i can easily want atleast 3x more bass then i have now

At worst if they enforce it(mine doesn't) it's 50 cents a cut after 2 cuts. But for a extra few $ it's worth it. Just use 3/4 mdf or any hardwood really. I used pine and have before with no issues. But ideally mdf or birch ply is the way to go. Mdf is heavy. And for your sub hole grab a ruler if available(I work for schools so not a issue) and let's say you need a 14" hole drill a hole in the 1 and 8 inch marks since 7 is half of 14. Mark your center points and then use a nail and a pen and hold the nail on the center mark with the nail in the 1" spot them put your pen in the 8" spot and while keeping the nail/screw in place make your circle. Now it may be 14 and 3/4 of a inch but just a tip. And worse case scenario you get enough wood for two boxes in case you mess up. Still cheaper than a shop.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

The fi q and a properly designed box should do it. Cone area for the win.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like the sealed sound, and want a flatter response, there is nothing wrong with a sealed setup.

The FI Q can be configured for sealed or ported (or at least they used to be able to). I personally like the sound of sealed better, but it takes more power and more subs to reach the same output. However, one of the cleanest setups I remember hearing was 2 Alpine Type R 15s sealed on 2k. It was loud, deep, and low for what it was. Its all preference for car audio.

I say all this because i can easily want atleast 3x more bass then i have now
dude I'm telling u if u get a fair ported box just one that's tuned right correct air space u will not believe the diff over sealed.. + they require a lot ess power to get loud.. I have $70 sub $70 amp 500rms to a pioneer 12, my back windshield is coming loose (i'll have to silicone it soon)., and I played metallica today and sounded great., with actual bass cd's it's loud..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.