For You Experienced Types: 99-03 Mustang Speaker Installation Possiblities

Participant count
  • Participant list

Omega Supreme
10+ year member

Ford - in their infinte wisdom - are using 6x8 speakers in the front doors, as well as in the back deck (hardtop). Does anybody know if the 6x8 holes (particularly in the front) can accept 6.5-inch speakers?

What I was thinking might be cool (ideally) is to get some Q-Form kickpanels (if they still make em), and try to cram 6.5" speakers in those (only made for 5.25, I think), with the tweeter, and then put midbass (from a 3-way system) into the factory slots in the door (or maybe put the 6.5 in the factory slot, and the midbass & tweet in the Q-Form).

As for the back, I'd like to get 6.5" separates, as well - or at least 6x9's. Anybody ever done one of these bears before? ~J

Originally posted by Omega Supreme Ford - in their infinte wisdom - are using 6x8 speakers in the front doors, as well as in the back deck (hardtop). Does anybody know if the 6x8 holes (particularly in the front) can accept 6.5-inch speakers?

What I was thinking might be cool (ideally) is to get some Q-Form kickpanels (if they still make em), and try to cram 6.5" speakers in those (only made for 5.25, I think), with the tweeter, and then put midbass (from a 3-way system) into the factory slots in the door (or maybe put the 6.5 in the factory slot, and the midbass & tweet in the Q-Form).

As for the back, I'd like to get 6.5" separates, as well - or at least 6x9's. Anybody ever done one of these bears before? ~J
yes you can get 6.5's in the 6x8 hole. as for getting them into the q-forms...im not sure.

All it would take is a piece of MDF to make yourself an adaptor plate for the doors to fit a 6.5" woofer- make a cut out of the current speaker hole- and within that make a cut for the hole on the 6.5", and just slap that in the door.

As for the !- Logic kicks, I've heard they are very faulty and not made too well- might want to look into designing your own kicks from fiberglass...

what i did with my '94 ranger was fiberglass over the 6X8 holes and cut my own 6.5 in hole in the door. but you have to be careful with the depth of the speaker and how far the lip of the speaker comes out or you'll push the door panel out

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.