Fixing my System (K2P, Lotus, and active comps)

Participant count
  • Participant list

idiot
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a problem with my system. I've been out of the game for a while now, so need someone to double check that my solution is actually workable, since this is moving a bit beyond my experience zone. Then I need product suggestions.

Okay, here's my current system:

HU: Pioneer P880PRS

Speakers: Focal 165K2P

Amp: Phoenix Gold X200.2

Sub: Soundsplinter RL-p15

Amp: Avionixx AXT1200.2

So I've had this installed for years without issue (replaced the HU about a year ago, but that's it). It sounded great. This was in Connecticut. Then I went to school in Alabama, my Focal woofers suddenly gave out one summer. The tweeters and sub still worked fine, but the only sound my woofers made was an extremely soft rumble. It took me a while to figure out what had happened given my limited space and tools to troubleshoot the problem, but I eventually figured out that my sound deadening had become unstuck from the inside of my doors during these hot southern summers and fallen on the back of my speakers. This closed off the vent and poof, they were suddenly useless.

Great, so I needed to replace those. It would be great if I could find someone willing to part with the mids from a Focal 165K2P set, since that would be an easy drop-in replacement. But that hasn't happened and I'm tired of running around without tunes... and spending $600 to ebay a new set is not an option.

The problem is that I still don't really have a garage to fiddle in, since I'm at school working all summer. So I don't want to re-wire my car, and I'd rather leave my current tweeters in place given that I've already cut a hole in my a-pillars. Not to mention that the tweeters work fine and that would be a needless additional cost.

I haven't told you yet that I also have a PPI PC4400.2 (50Wx4) that has an onboard crossover that I love. I should also be able to use the P880PRS crossover if the wiring is right (I'd have to check). So I was considering the possibility of running an active system by replacing the X200.2 with this amp. However, I've never run without a passive crossover before, so I need some help finding a woofer that compliments the Focal TN52 (specs). This woofer must absolutely have strong midbass, and cannot have a huge mounting depth (77mm for the Focal is pushing it... it can't be any deeper). I don't mind buying used as long as the condition is good and the seller is respectable. I'd appreciate any and all suggestions on this.

I have the option of buying a pair of Lotus Reference mids for around $200. My hesitation here is the crossover frequency. I believe the Focal crossover splits at ~3800Hz. It looks like the tweeter can handle going almost as low as 2000-2500Hz from the response graph, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at it properly (again, I've never needed to know this stuff). The Lotus driver is crossed much lower in the Reference set (1700Hz), so I'm not sure if this combination would even work properly. Thoughts?

I'd like to stay under $200 to fix my system. The Lotus is just a possibility that recently presented itself, but I'm sure there are other quality suggestions. Input here would be greatly appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.