First System - $400 Budget

Yea but a lot of times the close outs are really refurbs and you only get the seller warranty not manufacture warranty Anyway. I can do a dc lvl 2 12. Powerbass *** 400.1 some powerbass components and a pioneer or clarion deck for $450 shipped. No sub box tho

Yea but a lot of times the close outs are really refurbs and you only get the seller warranty not manufacture warranty Anyway. I can do a dc lvl 2 12. Powerbass *** 400.1 some powerbass components and a pioneer or clarion deck for $450 shipped. No sub box tho
lol... What do you mean "a lot of times"?...like what? show me exactly what you are talking about, since you state it happens " a lot of times" there should be tons of items for you to link us to. You are obviously referring to equipment that has been linked to in this thread, or there would be no reason to bring it up...unless there was some personal gain to be had from such a statement.

I would be wary of someone trying to sell me a DC LVL 2 12 with a 400watt class A/B monobock and some of the cheapest components and the cheapest pioneer or clarion deck they could find for $450. That's kinda like having a bright, shiny thingy sitting in a pile of manure.... it is just there for looks, but still smells like shit.

lol... What do you mean "a lot of times"?...like what? show me exactly what you are talking about, since you state it happens " a lot of times" there should be tons of items for you to link us to. You are obviously referring to equipment that has been linked to in this thread, or there would be no reason to bring it up...unless there was some personal gain to be had from such a statement.

I would be wary of someone trying to sell me a DC LVL 2 12 with a 400watt class A/B monobock and some of the cheapest components and the cheapest pioneer or clarion deck they could find for $450. That's kinda like having a bright, shiny thingy sitting in a pile of manure.... it is just there for looks, but still smells like shit.
e26.jpg

Brah, with your budget you wont have enough money to pay someone to install...

Read up, check out the links that were posted above and others. Then if you have any questions ask.

There is people on this forum that eats sleeps and sh_its car audio that can help you out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

lol... What do you mean "a lot of times"?...like what? show me exactly what you are talking about, since you state it happens " a lot of times" there should be tons of items for you to link us to. You are obviously referring to equipment that has been linked to in this thread, or there would be no reason to bring it up...unless there was some personal gain to be had from such a statement.I would be wary of someone trying to sell me a DC LVL 2 12 with a 400watt class A/B monobock and some of the cheapest components and the cheapest pioneer or clarion deck they could find for $450. That's kinda like having a bright, shiny thingy sitting in a pile of manure.... it is just there for looks, but still smells like shit.
i'm saying this because it has happened to me personally,if the op wants to spend $400 for a new system,he's not gonna get much for his money,unless he buys used ,and even then its a hit or miss if the equipment will even work right .for you to come off basically saying that i'm as a seller am shady is utter bs ,look at my seller ratings .i dont have a business not to make money ,not very smart,and i dont have a million dollars to buy in bulk or old products like most of the online companies do.if i sell any equipment and cant make at least $20-$30 off of it ,then i might as well close up shop .i do give the best deals that i can on all new equipment and when asked i give my opinion about other equipment .i dont force anyone to buy anything from me .oh and i've been into car audio prolly longer than you have been alive ,so i think i know what i'm talking about .i've ran the new ppi stuff in my kids car ,wasn't impressed at all,same as the infinity amps ,and the low end boston sub,and as far as a deck op needs to start there first with a better deck ,otherwise he'll be replacing it within a year to get better features .

amp - ok ,sub - low powered , speakers and comps -no good,deck older model -last year
older model, what does that have to do with anything, please. i guess everyone needs to throw out their cd7200 eclipses. its a great deck for the price. aand the componenets are one of the best you can buy for the money. have you heard them, i love mine. their reviews on them on here. they are a better option than the coax you are trying to sell him

i'm saying this because it has happened to me personally,if the op wants to spend $400 for a new system,he's not gonna get much for his money,unless he buys used ,and even then its a hit or miss if the equipment will even work right .for you to come off basically saying that i'm as a seller am shady is utter bs ,look at my seller ratings .i dont have a business not to make money ,not very smart,and i dont have a million dollars to buy in bulk or old products like most of the online companies do.if i sell any equipment and cant make at least $20-$30 off of it ,then i might as well close up shop .i do give the best deals that i can on all new equipment and when asked i give my opinion about other equipment .i dont force anyone to buy anything from me .oh and i've been into car audio prolly longer than you have been alive ,so i think i know what i'm talking about .i've ran the new ppi stuff in my kids car ,wasn't impressed at all,same as the infinity amps ,and the low end boston sub,and as far as a deck op needs to start there first with a better deck ,otherwise he'll be replacing it within a year to get better features .
I have bought from Sonic, Woofers etc, Parts Express, Onlinecarstereo, AQ, and few others. I have never received anything that was not as described from these companies. They only problems I have ever had was buying used equipment off sites like Ebay, which is why I rarely suggest anything used. I have bought "last years models", or "outdated models" with extremely satisfactory results, considering the savings.

I did not say you were shady, you are the one who stated the "Boston sub will blow on the PPI amp", which is utter BS and then actually stated the comps will "take too much power and overrun the sub", which lends to the fact you may not be too familiar with system tuning. You left me no choice but to try and defend my suggestion....and you claim to have been doing this since before I was born??....lol. I am not going to dispute that, but I was running Zapco and M&M in 1987.

The only thing you have done is try to sell OP far less quality at an inflated price. The only thing OP has to judge by is actual stated specs such as power output, THD, S/N, Frequecy Response, etc. I did allow for the possibility that the PPI S760.4 might be overrated, but I seriously doubt it. I was figuring about 100 watts to the comps and 300 to the sub after proper gain adjustments. $85 invested in the actual sub stage is not bad, given the overall system capability and flexibility. If op ever intends to expand his system, he will be sitting on a very capable mid/high amp and decent comps and a decent HU as a good foundation for a much better sub stage.

I have installed the Sedona S580.2 and PPI Power Class PC360.2 amps and had great results. Same with the Boston 12" pre fab subs. I helped a friend of mine install a Hifonics BRZ 1200 and the Boston G112PD cab they had on sale awhile back. That thing sounds good on about 700 watts and no, they did not blow..nor the fuses. I have not heard the PPI Art series comps, but for $79, I bet they are pretty dang good. I have not seen the particular Clarion I suggested, but the Clarions I have seen are decent for the $. OP would probably get more than a year out of that model. It has more pre-outs and higher pre-out voltages than the lower priced model you suggested, along with a few other features.

Is there better equipment out there? Of course. For the $$? prolly not much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed the equipment isn't bad it's ok none the less if you read his first post he's new to all this so setting gains properly and even installing the system will prolly be an adventure itself for him i did offer him the system you suggested for $10 less too the one i suggested was just one system off the top of my head from just one of my distributors and the deck I bought new that came as a refurb just happened to come from online car stereo if you must know and by the time I paid return shipping and the restocking they wanted to charge me I would have not been able to buy a new deck I do use sonic tho I have a dealer acct with them

I have a brand new in box 2012 Alpine Type E 12" that I"ll sell you for $60 shipped, single 4 ohm, 250rms. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

There seems to be a few people on here knocking "old" equipment.....or, at least that have a preference for new. I am all for good deals and staying within a set budget....

For good prices....get on Craigslist and hit the pawn shops. I recently put together some decent sound for my truck for not much more than a $400 budget and I am one 2 channel amp and pair of 4" speakers left over. Some of the equipment will be changed at some point as it is not the best, but is more than sufficient. Here is the post where I listed the stuff I bought and the prices.... even a couple of pictures:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/554363-need-help-build-system.html#post8132826

The head unit has changed to a Pioneer P9800bt ......so much better sound quality than the newest Kenwood x996 (which is nice, dont get me wrong....but pales in comparison to the sq of the 9800). Not a pro system (nor priced as such)....but sounds absolutely sweet. Tuned right (I think I got it). Loud and clear.

For $400-500 you will build a very basic system unless perhaps you use used hardware. You can throw something together with something like a 4-channel class D amp, Soundstream TN4.900D amp ($200), a set of Pioneer D-series components ($120 online?) and an entry level subwoofer. Realistically, though if you want to do things right.. get an active capable head unit (such as Pioneer DEH-80PRS), a 5-channel amplifier to run active front stage and a set of better speakers (e.g. JBL Power or MS-series)..Ignore the rear speakers. But this kind of setup can easily cost near $1000 if you count the cost of everything (subs, hu, etc). This sounds expensivish, but you don't have to spend it all at once. Each piece takes some time to install and tune. Buy and install one piece at a time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.