Fire Hazzard?????

Participant count
  • Participant list

Geminidj2000
10+ year member

The Bad Luck Kid
Denver
I got my remote wiere hooked up to a switch yesterday at a shop when i came to get my car they were like you need a whole new intall yours is a fire hazzard I was like o....k..... explain.... and they guy was like i cant really explain it, it just is Then i talked to the installer and he was like your running 2 amps off a distribution block with no ground he's right but im only trying to run 1 amp so i took the fuse out of the other distribution block slot.... and my other amp isnt even hooked up....... and i sent a 4 guage ground straight to the amp that has a fuse..... is this a fire hazzard??? Because another shop told me to do it that way.....

not too clear of the situation...

from your batt, you need to have an inline fuse (within 18" of the batt terminal), and another one on the distro block.

fused distro with ground? Haven't heard that one yet, maybe it's from Pyramid :p

if he meant two or more separate ground cables leading to one spot, I don't see how that could be dangerous, so long as it's on tight. I have my ground on an unfused distro block.

Now, about your remote on a switch: is that straight from the distro? You'd need the right fuse for it (probalby like 1A or something) or to be sure, you could have the power running out of a relay (http://www.12volt.com)

its from street wires.... and I have a circut breaker..... and naw just one 4 guage wire going to one of the seat bolts......the distribution block is power and ground but i havent found the time to go hunting for 2 guage wire again and since im only using one amp i just sent the ground staight to the amp.............. I think he was just trying to get me to buy one of thier amp kits because he kept talking about how if i got it rewired it came with a lifetime warenty

and they installed the remote switch it goes to my amp

Originally posted by Geminidj2000 its from street wires.... and I have a circut breaker..... and naw just one 4 guage wire going to one of the seat bolts......the distribution block is power and ground but i havent found the time to go hunting for 2 guage wire again and since im only using one amp i just sent the ground staight to the amp.............. I think he was just trying to get me to buy one of thier amp kits because he kept talking about how if i got it rewired it came with a lifetime warenty

and they installed the remote switch it goes to my amp
yes, i believe it's most likely a horrid sales pitch if they can't really describe WHY it is a fire hazard...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i'm sure the remote switch goes to your amp (where else? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif) but from where? Straight from disro, or can't see since they installed it?

They just hooked up a switch to the remote wire to my amp........ they did this before when i got my stuff put in my acura they were like your gonna need a better amp they were like a guy came in with a single 12 and took your to (with that jbl 1200.1 amp I was like did u hook it up at one ohm and they gave me a broad explination that i found out from u guys was bs......

my amp is all hooked up............. Im not really confident in my ground thats why i was asking see if maybe my ground was just wrong .... I ran the ground wire to one of the back seat screws...... but the metal there wouldnt sand right... but the guy at western radio checked it and said it was fine....

Im just making sure thats its ok for me to not ground the distribution block..... because when i went to car toys they were just gonna ground the amp since im only using one right now ..... im gonna get the distribution block hooked up the next time i get paid.....

but im hopeing i can run it now

Do u think if I hook it up to try the ground itll start a fire?

Originally posted by Geminidj2000 Im just making sure thats its ok for me to not ground the distribution block..... because when i went to car toys they were just gonna ground the amp since im only using one right now ..... im gonna get the distribution block hooked up the next time i get paid.....

but im hoping i can run it now

Do u think if I hook it up to try the ground itll start a fire?
This is the main reason why I'm confused... grounding a fused distro block? What model do you have? DO you have a distro with a voltage readout or something?

If that distro is for positive, and you attach a ground on it...well, doesn't seem to make much sense to me, cause it's gonna be the same thing as touching the (+) and (-) of the batt together.

If you have pics of this distro, that might be of help, or at least a model number? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by Geminidj2000 my distribution block has 2 in puts one for the groun and then a fused part for the power i just tested everything and it works fine..... here i found it http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/STRCBR44A
Man, that's an AWESOME looking distro...

Now I understand what you're saying //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah, you dont' HAVE to go through the ground block if you don't want to, and as you said, you've only got one amp in. SO long as the ground is solid in connection, it shouldn't have any problems. I don't know if bad grounds are a cause for alarm, cause from what I understand, either the amp will simply shutoff (no currentl flowing through) or introduce noise into your system.

My suggestion would be to steer clear of the audio shop that told you it's a fire hazard for not linking your ground onto the distro. Have fun pumping bass tunes:)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.