Finding wattage and Finding an Amp

Participant count
  • Participants list

lucas-

I have been searching for an amp for my 2 pairs of speakers and my 2 subwoofers. Here are my plans so far:

2 Kicker Coaxial Speakers 4-Ohm 6.5 inch @ 100wat RMS each = 200watRMS

@ ????wat Peak

2 Kicker Speakers 4-Ohm 5.25 inch @ 75wat RMS each = 150watRMS

@ 225wat Peak

2 Kicker Subwoofers ?-Ohm 12 inch @ ??wat RMS each = ???watRMS

@ ????wat Peak

I dont know how to find the wattage of the 2 subwoofers because I got them from the swapmeet and they are glued into the box. They don't look very expensive considering I got them for 25 bucks but I tried to make assumptions when looking for an amp. If you have any idea on how I can find the RMS or peak wattage of the subwoofers, please tell.

I also dont know what kind of amp to get for the two pairs of speakers and pair of subwoofers. I am willing to sacrifice a sub and only go with one subwoofer if necessary. Pricing should generally be below or near 150 just because I'm not exactly fit to acquire money while in high school with the amount of classes I have.

My main questions are:

How can I find the RMS and peak wattage along with the Ohm impedance of the subwoofer?

What amp could you suggest at the price range for my set up (either 1 or 2 subs)?

With my inexperience I found this amp but surely the experts will prove this amp to be incapable:

Power Acoustik RZ4-1200D Monoblock RAZOR Class D Car Amp (rz41200d)

Thanks my dudes!

you really want to see inside the box. even if the subs are "glued" they can be pried off and "re-glued". most people use silicone to seal subs to the box and silicone comes apart fairly easily when pried. you also want to know how the two subs are wired. you can search online for the matching cosmetics and then see what options there are. some kicker subs are SVC only and that simplifies options. if they are DVC, you want to know what your options are.

regardless, you can use a DMM to measure the coil resistance (DCR), it will be a bit lower than nominal impedance so round-up. from there, you can start thinking about what amplifier to choose. you need to know if you are dealing with 1ohm, 2ohm, or 4ohm nominal impedance load BEFORE choosing any amplifier.

for amp configurations, most people run a 4 channel for speakers and a separate monoblock for subs. you can look at 5-channel amps for simplicity. you can also just run a single 4 channel and configure it to run the speakers in parallel on channels 1 & 2 and then the sub(s) bridged on channels 3 & 4. you need to know sub impedance prior to choosing any of the options above. most 4 channel amps are only 4 ohm stable when bridged. some are 2 ohm stable bridged.

when on a budget, buying used is a great idea. a "good deal" when buying used is getting it for 1/3 or less than the original price. Power Acoustik isn't in the list of "good" amplifier brands. Powerbass is the better budget brand out there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.