Finally adding bass to a stock system - Please help

agilis

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello,

TL;DR below.

I have 2015 Audi RS5 and I am finally adding a subwoofer system because I’m tired of the 8” stock sub. I know there are a lot of people on here that are really well versed in all things car audio. So I need help.

I am making the move for a local installer to install a subwoofer, amp, and build the enclosure. The local installer wants to use a Rockford Fosgate T1D412 combined with a Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP. He said he wanted me to do my research before settling on this combination. So he’s flexible and that builds trust with me.

Now I know mainstream subs like RF and JL Audio are not the best, probably not even close to the best. I’ve been out of the game when it comes to car audio.

So can anyone help me with a subwoofer, amp, that would meet the following requirements:

- Keep stock/factory electrical system. My car’s battery has the following specs: 110Ah, 520A DIN / 850A EN/SAE/GS. which is ~900 CCA. The alternator is 190 Amp.

- Budget: Within reason for what I want.
- Not looking to be loudest on the block or win any competitions. (I’m sorry I just don’t have the time)
- Prefer SQL over SPL but I don’t mind SPL. So a good balance if possible.
- Still need to use half my trunk and even need 1 side of the seats to fold down (Sealed?)
- I listen to Hip-Hop/Rap, Electronic especially Drum N Bass

TL;DR:

2015 Audi RS5. Local installer wants to use a Rockford Fosgate T1D412 combined with a Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP.

Thoughts?

Thank you so much! You guys are all awesome when it comes to what you know and I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Some combination of an lc2i with a sub and amp should be easiest path to bass. I imagine the factory mids and highs are decent European...correct? That rf equipment you cited is expensive and birth sheets on that amp is near 1800. That much wattage will benefit from some electrical beef. 2019 alt spec alternator in rs5 is 150 amp. Big three, agm battery, and possibly target something closer to 1000-1200 watts. My calculation to make that recommendation was (150 amp size x 14.4v x .75 efficiency), that will give your alt the amperage to take care of the vehicles current demand.

Food for thought...probably get more output out of a ported vs sealed.

Some combination of an lc2i with a sub and amp should be easiest path to bass. I imagine the factory mids and highs are decent European...correct? That rf equipment you cited is expensive and birth sheets on that amp is near 1800. That much wattage will benefit from some electrical beef. 2019 alt spec alternator in rs5 is 150 amp. Big three, agm battery, and possibly target something closer to 1000-1200 watts. My calculation to make that recommendation was (150 amp size x 14.4v x .75 efficiency), that will give your alt the amperage to take care of the vehicles current demand.

Food for thought...probably get more output out of a ported vs sealed.

Thank you so much for responding.

Lc2i is definitely in the installation path. The highs & mids are very good in this Bang & Olufsen system but the bass.. 8” sub that has no presence.

So the stock battery in this car is mean... It’s an AGM battery made by a German company named Varta. It has a spec of 110Ah, 520A DIN / 850A EN/SAE/GS. which is ~900 CCA. The alternator for the 2015 is 190 Amp.

Can you or anyone recommend a different subwoofer/amplifier that would be much better for the cost of the Rockford Fosgate set up?

I do like the suggestion of a ported/vented box.

As far the big 3... I do not think upgrading the ground wire or the alternator will be possible. But I will look into that. My battery is located in the trunk but those connections are governed by plugs and the entire electrical system is monitored.

Thank you again! I’ll reply as soon as I can.

Awesome, it’s probably a good agm. That’s a monster battery and alternator too, huge win for you. Hell they may even go the extra mile and put big wire in the car to accommodate the alt size to that big battery.

Better alternative product for the cost, probably a lot of options but I’ve never used those products (except a bdcp1000.1) or had a budget that high so someone else can chime in.

Yeah from what I've heard it's a really good battery. I was actually shocked by the alternator as well. But I think it's because there is quite a lot of electrical going on in that car.

Thank you so much for your help so far. Hoping someone else will chime in with suggestions.

Was hoping that some other experienced members would have responded with assistance.

I just want to make sure that there is not something of equal or better value for the price I’m paying for the amp and subwoofer.

I've got the B&O in my A8. Just had the powered JL 12" installed and I pretty much hate it. Instant regret. I've tried moving the sub around to different positions in the trunk, throwing a couple sleeping bags in the trunk, reversing the RCAs, polarity, etc. It just sounds like unrefined trash. I've got the remote volume too. The audio shop now suggests I come back for RTA with the possibility of some sort of DSP ($$$). They left the stock sub hooked up, so both subs are playing. I wonder if that's the issue.

I'm with you though. The B&O system is really balanced. Among the best stock I've heard, but the bass was lacking a little something, not to mention the unwanted spike at 40Hz.

These should work for you! Taramps MD1800
1 and American Bass XR12d2. If saving space, then, a Dayton 12" in a sealed box.
Screenshot_20200325-215232_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20200325-215704_Samsung Internet.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.