FI SSD12 frequency response

that soundstream amp has that linkwitz crossover if i recall on my older soundstream amps
A Linkwitz transform is much different than a Linkwitz-Riley crossover, if that's what you're thinking of.

A Linkwitz transform basically lowers the amplitude of all frequencies above a chosen frequency but doesn't roll them off like a LP crossover will. The only problem is that you have to apply more power to get the same output above your chosen frequency.

dd27bb.png

Take that graph for instance. After the LT is applied, the top end looses output but the end response is flatter.

After you apply more power, you should be able to get something like this as long as you have excursion room down in the area that was not affected by the LT:

2j63ck6.png

The human ear cannot audibly process anything below 20Hz, some people can process things as low as 17Hz..but the vast majority simply can't hear it. You may 'think' you can hear it, but you can't.
What you are hearing is mechanical noise either coming from the woofer itself or the environment in which you are in that is resonating...and relating that to being able to hear such frequencies.

Now you can lay down an elephant dead in its tracks with a 10-12Hz tone...you can also crack foundations of buildings with ultra low subsonic frequencies..

But you can't hear it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

To the OP: Your not going to find a woofer in a car that will do that with no equalization, you are simply hearing the peaks and valley's of the resonant frequency response of your car...which you will either have to counter with box tuning, changing volume etc. That box is on the big side of things anyhow, 1.1 cubic feet is optimal for an SSD 12.

Thanks!

-Nick
x2. im glad some one said this cause i was going to call the person who said they could hear below 20hz an idiot or super human

x2. im glad some one said this cause i was going to call the person who said they could hear below 20hz an idiot or super human
lol. have you read immacomputer's posts? let's see if your smart enough to put up an argument.:laugh:we already know the answer

lol. have you read immacomputer's posts? let's see if your smart enough to put up an argument.:laugh:we already know the answer
links to arguments //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif is he worst the king ranch

what impedance is the ssd? hope its dual 4 ohm,with the coils in parallel for a 2 ohm load then bridged cuz those rubicons werent that powerful until lower impedances

********. 20hz and below is completely audible in my car and 20hz is not attenuated at all. I'm also just running a single 12" sub getting 100w from an old Profile amp. Bass I love you sounds very flat and nice on my setup. The 7hz quick note is definitely audible and it's not some flapping sound from the driver. The 17hz note is very powerful and really gets my shirt shaking.
If you want to get down to 20hz and still use a sealed box, I suggest going to about 2.5 cubes and implementing a Linkwitz transform circuit into your system if you have plenty of power at your disposal (or if you're not too terribly concerned with output).

Another option would be to go to about 2.5 cubes and tune between 22-25hz. That would definitely bring out the low end extension and your top end should not change much at all from how they are now. That will have roughly the same output from about 40-60hz that you get now but it should also bring the 20-40hz range into a more audible level and no, that does not mean that it will be peaky. Being peaky in the low 20hz range isn't a bad thing at all since your hearing starts to roll off around there. My hearing begins to degrade around 25hz and below and I have a 4dB peak at 22hz. To my ear, it's not a noticeable peak and it actually sounds flat when compared to frequencies in the 30+ range.

A transmission line may also suit your needs. Something with about 45in^2 of line area at about 110" long with a small compression chamber of about .5 cubes or so. I would probably steer clear of this option if you have a trunk vehicle though.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif:crazy://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh:

all i know is below 20 and i cant hear **** just roof flex. witch is cool too
That's not a human problem but a large difference in output from other frequencies that you're used to hearing. Basically, it's a system range problem.

It's ok that you're just like a little child that goes around repeating everything they read on a forum and spit it back out as truth without question. I don't blame you for ignorance but you should probably read deeper into the subject before calling people idiots or laughing at them.

Take a look at this wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

Take note at the "Limits of Perception" section. It sounds very similar to something that I typed earlier (I found this after I typed that up) in that hearing is primarily done in the brain and the ears are just the analog converter.

I guess it can be difficult to understand without prior knowledge to how your body really works but curing your ignorance is not really my job. Feel free to laugh at me or call me an idiot; I'm not the one who has to live believing a misconception.

immacomputer I think ur confusing the difference between 'hearing' something or it being 'audible' and, 'detecting' sometihng. Your brain simply cannot process sound below a certain point, yes its still audible, but not to the human ear. Yes your ear picks it up...as your ear is a passive tool, but that doesn't mean your brain understands it and can process it and tell you its sound. As far as your brain is concerned..its nothing but pressure, where as at say 40hz...your brain can process the frequency and knows its sound

And either way, human hearing is attenuated well before 20hz, so even if you want to still say we can 'hear' below 20hz, it would take enourmous amounts of pressure to create enough that our brain can process it the way it can process 100hz at moderate pressure levels

edit: just read the article...

The ear itself does not respond to frequencies below 20 Hz, but these can be perceived via the body's sense of touch
Arguing that you can 'hear' below 20hz, is like arguing that a deaf person can hear. Yes, they can detect sound if its loud enough to impact other sensory parts of our bodies, but they can't hear it

That's not a human problem but a large difference in output from other frequencies that you're used to hearing. Basically, it's a system range problem.
It's ok that you're just like a little child that goes around repeating everything they read on a forum and spit it back out as truth without question. I don't blame you for ignorance but you should probably read deeper into the subject before calling people idiots or laughing at them.

Take a look at this wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustics

Take note at the "Limits of Perception" section. It sounds very similar to something that I typed earlier (I found this after I typed that up) in that hearing is primarily done in the brain and the ears are just the analog converter.

I guess it can be difficult to understand without prior knowledge to how your body really works but curing your ignorance is not really my job. Feel free to laugh at me or call me an idiot; I'm not the one who has to live believing a misconception.
alright mR scientologist. i might be wrong but i do it the way **** works. i pop in my cd and i have never ever heard 20 hz out of any woofer(givent the fact that i do experiment with alot of woofers and signals. now maybe im deaf but i still cannot hear 20 HZ (i am playing a 20 hz wave right now i see my woofer moving thats is it. so call me ignorant or what you like , but i dont go on here repeteting **** i read, i try out what works if it works i state the opinion on how it did. if it doesnt work for me i say other wise. 20 is inaudible to my ear tho.

Btw if you are still going to argue that 20 hz is audible make a poll and you will see whats up.

Arguing that you can 'hear' below 20hz, is like arguing that a deaf person can hear. Yes, they can detect sound if its loud enough to impact other sensory parts of our bodies, but they can't hear it
I think you don't understand the power of the human brain and you're confusing the limits of hearing with the brain instead of the ears. Your brain doesn't have a problem processing a 20hz signal but it needs proper SNRs to do it. Your ears have a frequency response associated with them just like any analog component (amps, speakers, motors, ect...) and they limit one part of hearing. Your brain is a logic based processor that can logically assess what signals are being sent and where they're coming from.

Hearing 20hz and below is all about getting a signal with large enough amplitude to the brain to process. Your ears help as they can still react to these low frequencies but without being able to accurately judge tonality (which basically means that 12hz will be hard to tell apart from 10hz). This doesn't mean that you can't understand that there is a signal but deciding which signal it actually is will be skewed.

alright mR scientologist. i might be wrong but i do it the way **** works. i pop in my cd and i have never ever heard 20 hz out of any woofer(givent the fact that i do experiment with alot of woofers and signals. now maybe im deaf but i still cannot hear 20 HZ (i am playing a 20 hz wave right now i see my woofer moving thats is it. so call me ignorant or what you like , but i dont go on here repeteting **** i read, i try out what works if it works i state the opinion on how it did. if it doesnt work for me i say other wise. 20 is inaudible to my ear tho.

Btw if you are still going to argue that 20 hz is audible make a poll and you will see whats up.
Make a poll? So people can vote with ignorance?

Seeing a speaker play a 20hz tone is far different from having a flat response down to and below 20hz. And just because you haven't experienced it, does not mean that it's not possible. I don't expect someone like you to understand so you can just move on and write me off as an idiot as I truly don't care of your opinion of me (whether good or bad).

If you say you can't hear 20hz, have you ever had a setup that measured flat down to 20hz and lower? If not, I'm not concerned about your experiences because it's all useless for this discussion.

I think you don't understand the power of the human brain and you're confusing the limits of hearing with the brain instead of the ears. Your brain doesn't have a problem processing a 20hz signal but it needs proper SNRs to do it. Your ears have a frequency response associated with them just like any analog component (amps, speakers, motors, ect...) and they limit one part of hearing. Your brain is a logic based processor that can logically assess what signals are being sent and where they're coming from.
Hearing 20hz and below is all about getting a signal with large enough amplitude to the brain to process. Your ears help as they can still react to these low frequencies but without being able to accurately judge tonality (which basically means that 12hz will be hard to tell apart from 10hz). This doesn't mean that you can't understand that there is a signal but deciding which signal it actually is will be skewed.
you must tweek alot bro. to figure this **** out. i could tell below 20 hz by looking at the woofer move and count the cycles but still cant hear it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.