few questions about EQs

Participant count
  • Participant list

orangecounty1
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Tampa, FL
main one is on the kicker KQ5...on most EQs i see (example, the clarion eqs744 and 746) the first knob is for one frequency and you can turn it up or down.

the KQ5 knob has 3 different frequencies on one knob...how does that work as far as adjusting it goes?

basically i need a decent preamp for the MINI, as im not gonna run a HU, just my carputer, but i want a preamp for the RCAs. dont really need a alot of EQ features in it as i can run a software EQ via the PC (as well as a crossover)

ideas?

i have a KQ5 somewhere but i think its broken, but i recall it lighting up an amber color which is perfect, becuase it matches the MINI stock lights... (vs clarions and others that are blue...)

I've had both the kq5 and eqs746.

You'll like the kq5 more, cleaner and higher output capable.

What you mean about 3 diff freqs per knob?

On the kq5 its a parametric setup, the more you turn the bass/mid/treb knob freqs up, the higher your LP/HP on the bass/mid/treb stages go up. Alot more flexible that way then the standard fixed 5 band setup on the 746

I've had both the kq5 and eqs746. You'll like the kq5 more, cleaner and higher output capable.

What you mean about 3 diff freqs per knob?

On the kq5 its a parametric setup, the more you turn the bass/mid/treb knob freqs up, the higher your LP/HP on the bass/mid/treb stages go up. Alot more flexible that way then the standard fixed 5 band setup on the 746
like on the first knob, its 40, 65, and 90.

on the clarion, the first knob is 50hz, so if i want to turn the 50hz freq up or down, i just turn that knob. i guess i dont understand how the "parametric" setups work.

also, the kq5, does it light up red or is it kind of an orange/amber? and the kq9 isnt parametric right?

You're forgetting everything between 45-90,etc :p

Parametric means you pan (turn up and down on each band) your center freq where the slope peaks at.

The kq9 is that one graphic eq, so no it's not parametric. The kq5 is the only one of the bunch. Parametric allows you to fine tune more than fixed, so you can dial in what you need instead of settling for a fixed eq.

Cmon you should know this!!

It lights up like orange with a hint of red. Almost like the mini.

You're forgetting everything between 45-90,etc :pParametric means you pan (turn up and down on each band) your center freq where the slope peaks at.

The kq9 is that one graphic eq, so no it's not parametric. The kq5 is the only one of the bunch. Parametric allows you to fine tune more than fixed, so you can dial in what you need instead of settling for a fixed eq.

Cmon you should know this!!

It lights up like orange with a hint of red. Almost like the mini.

nice

you dont still have ur kq5 do you?

i have one but the power connections broke off and ive tried to resolder and its still messed up so ima just buy a new one i guess

No I sold it to someone local a while back.Only downside is it doesn't have separate sub outs, which is really annoying.
****!

then i cant get that one..i need an output for my mids amps, tweeter amp, and sub..

guess ill get the KQ9 even though its a graphic one. it lights up the same color i believe, and im sure SQ is the same.

i would cheap out and get the clarion, but i dont want blue LEDs

any other ideas? would like something that matches color wise in the MINI, but has to have front rear and sub outs, as well as aux in. and a volume knob since i wont have a HU.

****!
then i cant get that one..i need an output for my mids amps, tweeter amp, and sub..

guess ill get the KQ9 even though its a graphic one. it lights up the same color i believe, and im sure SQ is the same.

i would cheap out and get the clarion, but i dont want blue LEDs

any other ideas? would like something that matches color wise in the MINI, but has to have front rear and sub outs, as well as aux in. and a volume knob since i wont have a HU.
Get the kq9, it'll look good in the mini. Or go crazy and get one of those digital eq's to match the carputer look.

Get the kq9, it'll look good in the mini. Or go crazy and get one of those digital eq's to match the carputer look.
haha yea ill look around for a KQ9 then //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

hey if i was to run the KQ5, how would i do that when i have a sub amp, a mids amp, and a tweet amp? im gonna be running IA6.4's for the mids and highs, so would i just do like the "front" outs from KQ5 to all the mids/highs amps, and the "rear" out to the IA 20.1s?

i wont have a crossover, planned to run one via the PC, but that wouldnt work since the mids and tweets amps are on the same RCA output right? id have to manually cross them over at the amp, which should work too since the IA6.4 looks like it has a decent crossover network.

ok so i ordered 2 of these:

Mp3Car Custom Car Computers!

you can program them to do a ton of ****. i ordered 2 so i dont have to switch back and forth. one will be strictly volume, and ill set the push in click to pause the music. the other will be to scroll through music/navigate.

80 shipped, not bad. looks really cool and alot of people like them from what ive read.

now i dont need an EQ with a volume control, i dont even need an indash one. might just get a 3 way crossover...any suggestions now? lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.