Feedback on custom home made sub box for my ram extended cab

Participant count
  • Participant list

Turboboost910

Hey all, new to car audio, but quite handy. So this will be the first system I ever had, and I want to do it right.

1995 Ram 2500 extended cab. I gutted out the interior and put down Press N Seal, and on top of that I put down Herculiner. It's still a work truck, but I expect some half decent sound deadening from what I've read online.

I'm keeping my rear bench seat out, and building my sub box and amp mount in the space.

But I do have a few questions and would like feedback on my idea before i cut into my nice new expensive MDF board.

Brief example of what I plan on doing:

I want to have a flat "deck" where the bench seat used to be, with the subs angled right behind the two front seats. There is plenty of room in the back, and this will be utilized for storage if I need it. I plan on building two sub boxes to spec for the subs, and then using a "skeleton" support system with MDF to provide mounting to the floor of the truck. As I build it, I will find the most ideal places to secure the supports to the floor with L brackets, either bolted or self-tapping screws to the floor of the truck.

Specs: 10" Alpine subs (2ea)

Sound Ordnance M-1500

1. I want my 2 subs behind both of my seats. What angle face should I put them? I was thinking 45* but somewhere I read that the angle may interfere with the sub sound quality? so possibly 20*? Or I could angle it to how my seat is angle.

1a. How much room between my seat and the face of the subs do I need? Does it matter?

2. Mounting the box to the floor seems to be the most complicated issue for me. Is using L Brackets the ideal method? Will it be secure and tight enough over the long term?

3. Is it ok to mount the amp in the middle of the box between the two subs, or should I mount it separately from the box to avoid vibration?

1. I would avoid making 2 separate boxes. Reason for this is that there's room for error in making each box exactly the same as the other. If they're not exactly the same, you may get some cancellation.

1a. Doesn't matter as long as the subs don't hit anything at xmax.

2. Are you screwing the L brackets to the floor?

3. Mount the amp where it will be least affected by vibration and will have ample air flow. Though it's bad to mount amps on top of sub boxes, I did that initially and ran the amp for 8 years. It's still functioning perfectly today.

well i should have worded this better. there will be two enclosures for both subs. They will both be 1.0 ft^3 per manufacturer's specs, but will be part of the same construction. I am pretty strict with my building tolerances, so they should both be pretty even size wise.

The L Brakcets will be going to the floor, yes, there is plenty of space underneath the frame that I won't drill into anything critical. Should I use self tapping screws, or bolts? If I use screws, I can place bracekets plenty of places along the floor.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.