F-150 door panel removal/sound dampening

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jdg784
10+ year member

Yep..I'm God
Alright, finally got the system all wired, working and hidden..but there are still those annoying rattles from plastic and metal pieces in my truck. As far as I can tell 90% of them are coming from the passenger door. Anyone know where I can A) find out how to take off my door panel and B) have reccomendations on stopping rattles? It's a 97' F-150 Lariat

I'm not familiar with Fords, so I can't help you much with the doors. However, more then likely there are some screws in the armrest and possible by the door handle but look around to be sure. After that you will probably find push retainers along the edges of the panel (underneath). You can use a big flat blade screw driver to pry them out (use an old mouse pad or something to keep from scratching your paint), or you can go to your local hardware store and get a panel puller (like a forked screw driver bent at an agle for prying). Becareful to unhook all the wires connected to the panel before you pull it too far away from the door.

As for sound deadening, eDead v.1 is the most inexpensive SD material I've found thus far (even more so then Sounddeadeningmaterial.com's and their's is pretty cheap). It's not quit as thick but for the price you can double layer it. Make sure you check out the websites directions for installing it before you get started. Most of it is common sence but it's still good to know what you're doing. I SDed my trunk, doors and floor and it made a huge difference not only in quieting rattles but in improving the sound of my spkrs (be sure to take them out and SD the metal under them, very important... that is your biggest contact point for resonation), incresing clarity and SPL. It's like I got bigger amps and better spkrs! If you can afford it, SD as much as you can, but the doors, rear wall and floor of your truck will make the most noticable difference.

Hope that helps, take care and God bless you.

i got the anwser...i think. No but seriously, i have a F-150 and i know exactly what your talking about. As soon as you turn on the sound with any bass it sounds like the speakers are blown? Well heres what you do. If you know how to take the door panel off, do that. If not, there should be some screws, 2 or 3. Take them out (obviously) and the panel will stay on the door. There are door pins all the way around the panel. CAREFULLY take the panel off by pulling gently. Once its off, it will reveal the speaker and the rest of the door which is covered by the plastic. Get a razor blade or knife and cut around the outside of the plastic until it all the loose plastic is off. Dont worry about what is glued on there as long as its not loose. While the panel is off, turn on the sound and the bass and listen to see if there is still a rattle. If there is, locate the plastic thats rattling and take it off. Then simlpy replace the panel and your done. I never would have guessed that the plastic could have made all that noise but its just there to keep dust out of your electronics, not necessary. Hope it helps, if not ask any questions you have and i'll do my best to help you out. Matt.

Not to sound confrontational, but I don't know if that's a good idea. That plastic makes a vapor barrier, mainly keeping moisture away from your wiring and spkrs. If you're not going to recover the door with sound deadening material, I'd just peel the plastic back and go looking for your rattle. It will reseal fine if you press it back on firmly. And also, removing it would let in more dust and dirt that "plastic piece" is keeping off the spkr. You best bet is still to sound deaden. You can get 10 sq ft. of eDead v.1 dirt cheap, put it under your spkr (between it and the door's metal) and over the rest of the door creating a sound barrier as well as an enclosure. This will both remove rattles, resonance that robs your spkrs of sound quality, bass and volume, and lower the noise level on the freeway (so you can hear more of your music!). If that little plastic piece is what's rattling, put some SD on it too. Presto, rattle gone. If your spkrs are not mounted to the metal itself but to some factory plastic adapter, then SD it to, it will stiffen it and give you better bass.

Anyway, that's just my experience and opinion. Considering the meger cost and the exceptional results, it's your best way to go.

the problem is the "plastic piece". No matter how tightly you secure the plastic, the smallest amount of bass will rattle and annoy the crap out of you. I tried the same thing and it was a waste of time. Im not dissing your ideas but im just saying that i have had this problem and i took the plastic off 2 years ago and i live on a dirt road and i haven't had any trouble w/ dust interfearing. The SD is a really good idea and, as you said, really cheap. Its a good solution and he should give it a try. Matt.

Man, dirt roads ****! When I first bought my last car the previous owners lived on a gravel road and I spent what seemed like forever power washin' all the dust out of the body panels! LOL! I feel for you friend.

I didn't feel dissed, thanks. If SD is out of the budget, then I'd have to agree; toss the plastic piece. Nothing quite as annoying when you're trying to enjoy your favorite song then a rattle cuttin' in on the action. SEARCH AND DESTROY!!! There's just so many additional advantages to SDing, so I had to throw it in there.

That's what makes these forums awesome, all the different advice and experience you can tap into.

Hmm..Well pulled off my little "control panel" I.E. the window switches/locks etc..but the only screw I see is attached to the handle of the door..any sites w/step by step?

Sorry buddy, not that I know of. If that is the only screw you can find, I'd start pulling back the edges to see if you can see anything. More then likely you'll see little white plastic Christmas tree lookin' push pins going from your panel into the door. Get a flat blade and try to gently pry one out. If your sucessful then you can start poppin' them all out. Be forwarned, it may take a fair amount of force, that's why I'm suggesting taking it easy on the first one so you're sure thats how it's attached (almost garuntee it).

BTW, earlier I recommended eDead v.1 for sound deadening material, since then I've ordered some and found it to be a waste of money for what you get. If you sound deaden you may want to check out the link Goddyd4me provided, or look into Brown Bread. It seems to be the best quality for the money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.