Extra battery, ho alternator, or both?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I would do the HO Alternator from a good place. For 2500 watts I had just a HO along with a Walmart 65 series battery under the hood and no drops. Heck I run almost 4K in wattage with a 250 amp alternator that battery and no voltage drops. Can always add another battery easily personally I would always do a HO Alternator first before battery but that is me. I know others prefer it the other way.

I would do the HO Alternator from a good place. For 2500 watts I had just a HO along with a Walmart 65 series battery under the hood and no drops. Heck I run almost 4K in wattage with a 250 amp alternator that battery and no voltage drops. Can always add another battery easily personally I would always do a HO Alternator first before battery but that is me. I know others prefer it the other way.
Well the battery would certainly be less expensive but if alternator is the play then that’s the way to go. I was looking at a mechman alternator, or a singer if he will ever reply to my email. Thanks for your feedback.

Best way to contact Singer is through Facebook from what I have heard. He usually responds quicker there. Yeah a quality HO Alternator is expensive but worth it vs the junk ebay or amazon garbage.

Edit: Also I would do an AGM for your main battery if you haven't already that with the HO Alternator will get you buy with the big 3 that you mentioned of course. Make sure you use either welding power wire or good OFC wire.

Last edited:
Get the biggest one you can fit- that's what I would do (and have done before). You can never have too much alternator, IMO.
What’s your opinion on singer vs mechman? Singer is about 60 bucks higher but I know the cheapest option is not always the best. However I do see a lot of mechman out there. Thanks

I had the same dilemma here recently because a 250A from Singer was around $450 and the Mechman 240A was like $360 with military discount. But Mike from Singer was very helpful in my emails and seemed like a good dude so plan on going with him I think.

From the little bit I could find I believe the Singer puts out 10-20A more at idle in my case and a little more at full tilt as well which is important since I may eventually run 4-5k rms. I also think the Singers may be a tad better overall but that’s from very limited knowledge and it could be the other way around. They’re both on the same level and both are great choices.

With your limited power requirements I’d go with the cheaper one. My plan is likely the Singer 250 and a Northstar 31 AGM up front and eventually a Northstar 220 in rear. Should be good for 5-6k from my reading. Those Northstars are badass batts and seem to be one of the best options. For your requirements I’d seriously just consider the biggest AGM you can fit from your local auto stores which usually run about $200 instead of $400ish like XS Power and Northstar.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...