Extended/Full Range vs Tweeter

Not misunderstood or ignored. Beaming can/will happen with anything larger than a 1/2" dome tweeter. How off axis a driver is affect this as well as material so its almost impossible to predict. It also only matters if your sitting outside the beam area. If your within the beam frequencies wont be lost to the ear. You only lose those frequencies outside the beam. Im sure in a tiny car like mine its difficult to miss the beam, but obviously not impossible.
Depends on how ya mount em. My car is tiny too and I'm in the passenger side beam but not the driver side at all. If u really wanna go tweeterless, you'll probably be best off with pillars or on axis kicks or as close as you can get them. The "metallic" drivers tend to be easier to get that top end 'sparkle' from too.

i have ran my 4" kick mids with only a 200Hz high pass, and they have output well above 10kHz. they are on-axis and they can sound very nice. the downside is the soundstage is constantly pulled low - and to raise it back up i need to increase the apillar tweeter output above where it blends well. certainly doable, just takes tweaking.

i have ran my 4" kick mids with only a 200Hz high pass, and they have output well above 10kHz. they are on-axis and they can sound very nice. the downside is the soundstage is constantly pulled low - and to raise it back up i need to increase the apillar tweeter output above where it blends well. certainly doable, just takes tweaking.
Thats great and all, but I want to try out a tweeterless setup.

these are a 2" driver!!!....

2011-10-25222329.jpg

sorry for the hair...

2011-10-25222504.jpg

2011-10-25222437.jpg

2011-10-25222420.jpg

already sold them,but have another set lined up to try,i like their 6.5 soul driver.i had the set x2/soul.didn't think i would ever have time to make a pod until i saw the link from diy,that might work for me to try.

already sold them,but have another set lined up to try,i like their 6.5 soul driver.i had the set x2/soul.didn't think i would ever have time to make a pod until i saw the link from diy,that might work for me to try.
Are those Mark Audio's?

I just bought a set of H-Audio/Audible Physics AP3's. Same thing as the Fountek FR88ex driver, but with a more updated cone material to work out the quirks of the FR88ex. Should be here tomorrow.

Got my drivers yesterday. These things are tiny. They are the H-Audio/Audible Physics AP3's. They are very similar to the Trinity's and a step up from the famous Fountek FR88EX. Waiting on plots on DIYMA.

100_2288.jpg

100_2289.jpg

100_2290.jpg

100_2291.jpg

100_2292.jpg

100_2294.jpg

100_2295.jpg

Im going to try the pods with probably about .5 cubes of area. If that doesnt work Ill be doing a 3 way setup with the tweeters in the spheres instead.

Cool, make sure ya post up results on it. I might want to try something similar.

If not, I've got an extra set of new LPG 26NA tweeters u can get.... just throwing it out there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

nice looking drivers. what did you pay for them?
Cant tell you that in the off chance I want to sell them. Lets just say the price I paid would make you jealous for next day delivery for BNIB drivers.

Cool, make sure ya post up results on it. I might want to try something similar.
If not, I've got an extra set of new LPG 26NA tweeters u can get.... just throwing it out there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
LPG makes some great tweeters. However I have a set of Eclipse tweeters that are very very close as well as a set of Morel made Xtant 28mm's that are waiting to go active.

some of the configurations i tried - dash facing up vs apillar. i did a lot of AB comparisions. the focus was soundstage and not so much tonality since airspace wasn't fully controlled. no pics of the on-axis mock-ups.

1101111540.jpg

1101111613.jpg

1101111613a.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.