Evo VIII install

Here is a PVC CCF kitchen mat I found at Costco. I'm going to see how it works in the door. Only $7 so no big deal if it doesn't work. Should though.

View attachment 26520510

Ok I ran into a problem, I can't upload anymore pictures because I'm at 1.90MB of 1.91. Now what? I was uploading from my computer, am I just out of space or is there a way to post more pics?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the side panel where the seatbelt is housed. It just looked like a big flat resonant panel so I decided to deaden it and add some foam.

IMG_0379.jpg

Cutting to size.

IMG_0380.jpg

Glued in using 3M 77 contact spray adhesive. Taped the ends down and laid sandbags on it overnight. This glue is very tacky and holds the CCF well.

IMG_0381.jpg

Cutting the rest of the mat to fit the door.

IMG_0382.jpg

I first cut the mat to fit inside the door panel.

IMG_0383.jpg

I decided to fit it to the door.

IMG_0385.jpg

Fitting it to the door instead of the panel was easier. I made relief cuts for the wire bundle in the door and made sure the speaker was clear. I used the 3M 77 and sprayed the mat down. I covered the top inch or so with tape as to no get any glue on it. That was so I could handle the piece and not get my door panel all dirty from my fingers. I also taped the section where the door handle rod slides, I didn't want to hinder the rod's movement or make it difficult to open the door. .

IMG_0386.jpg

The panel went back on pretty easily. I had to remove some Styrofoam and a piece of the carpet mat looking stuff to get the door to clip on all the way. Tomorrow I get to see how effective all these mods are if at all.

IMG_0387.jpg

Nice Work!!

You spent a lot of time on that door hope it sounds great!!

I'm getting ready to do the same thing, May go look for a mat like that one

Thanks, it's hard to tell at this point how well it's working. I can tell that the sound coming from that door is better than stock. I left the drivers door alone to compare the two and to figure out how I actually wanted to execute this upgrade.

This is a somewhat educated shot in the dark. I read the website sounddeadenershowdown and started collecting material I came across locally. I started a different thread asking about the effectiveness of different foams but didn't get much info. I'm using a closed cell foam PVC mat in place of mass loaded vinyl and CCF. I bought this particular mat because it stated it was PVC and it felt heavier than other sleeping bag/yoga/gym/garage floor mats. One of the attributes accredited to MLVs sound blocking capability seems to be weight so while this is probably lighter it feels heavy enough to at least block some sound. I don't want to add a ton of weight and I don't need Lexus quiet so I'm going for something middle road, cheap and noticeably effective. The only way to know how effective any of this is would be to listen back to back my car vs a stock sound system Evo.

I cut some of the carpet padding material and lined the rest of the center console. The 2 rectangles in the middle sections are what I added. I don't know why they didn't line the whole thing to begin with, weight/cost maybe. If there is enough room I'll add some PVC mat in there too. This piece coming out was the biggest single increase in noise inside the car. Being AWD the tranny/diff/drivetrain whine is insane with these pieces removed.

IMG_0389.jpg

Here is the sub amp going in on the driver side. It's an Alpine MRP-M350 I got off ebay. Light came on so it probably works but I don't know, I don't have a sub yet.

IMG_0390.jpg

Everything tidy. Yay for OCD! I

IMG_0393.jpg

The eagle eyes among you will notice no fuse for the sub amp, no need yet. Taking suggestions on what to get btw...

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

i think i might want to do the same thing if theres room under my seat for my amps that looks sweet

with the seats in driving position can you see the amps at all?

i think i might want to do the same thing if theres room under my seat for my amps that looks sweet
with the seats in driving position can you see the amps at all?
It worked out very well for me with the space under my seats and the size of the amps. I also feel I have plenty of airflow room. Next post I have pics for you.

Looks pretty sweet bro. Are you seeing alot of difference in noise reduction now with it? Ill tell you ahead of time most people here agree kicker aint the way to go. I have to look at your sub amp specs but I shall give input. Man id love me an evo..

Got everything mounted and buttoned up. Time to put some of the interior back in.

RCAs, remote and driver side speaker wire zip tied and tucked in. I ran the speaker wire up under the dash and over to avoid running it with the power wires.

IMG_0424.jpg

Front seat all the way back. This will probably never happen again as not many people taller than me have/will drive my car.

IMG_0406.jpg

Seat in driving position.

IMG_0415.jpg

The most you can see from the side. You have to be looking for the amp to notice it. Anyone just walking around the car will not have the right angle.

IMG_0418.jpg

Seat all the way forward rear view. I'm almost positive this has never happened and pretty sure it won't ever happen again. No way anyone would be able to drive the car with the seat all the way forward.

IMG_0411.jpg

Seat in driving position rear view. Hidden nicely and I don't think feet will be able to reach it.

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

Passenger side normal position.

IMG_0426.jpg

These are noticeable. The amp was easily seen on the passenger side so I moved it over some. These RCA cables stand out, going to use cable wrap to hide them better. The passenger seat has different spacing than the drivers for some reason.

IMG_0423.jpg

Plenty of room around the amp for ventilation. I left one of the side covers off so I can mess with the filters and gain. I will be able to put it on and get it screwed in using a shorty screwdriver without removing the seat.

IMG_0429.jpg

Looks pretty sweet bro. Are you seeing alot of difference in noise reduction now with it? Ill tell you ahead of time most people here agree kicker aint the way to go. I have to look at your sub amp specs but I shall give input. Man id love me an evo..
Thanks man! I haven't driven the car put back together yet but just putting the door back on helped a lot. Fading all the way forward and going left to right to hear the difference between the stock driver door and the new passenger door you can hear a difference.

RE Kicker: I'm open to suggestions. Not looking for anything crazy, heavy or complex. Here are the specs on my amp, thanks for any help.

200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)

low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)

variable Bass EQ bass boost (0-12 dB at 50 Hz)

subsonic filter (15 Hz)

RE Evo; First time I drove the car was off the lot and I've been smiling ever since...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

AWD PSI

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
AWD PSI
SoCal
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date