Enough juice for system?

masterhacker
10+ year member

So heres the deal, my buddy sold me some amps/subs, I was wondering if my plan for the power side of things is beefy enough for the system (car is a 2002 grand prix Gt 3.8L)

first off, I have a Audiopipe 3000 Watt AP30001D

and 2 Power Acoustik MOFO-122X 12"

(i only paid 200 for everything, and it was all new, my buddy needed some quick cash otherwise power acoustik subs wouldn't have been my first choice)

anyways, I'm going to install 2 optima battery's in my car (im putting a cone air filter on, and getting rid of stock air box, and putting it there)

Im doing the big 3 upgrade with some 0 guage wire

im installing a 220 amp alternator (stock is like 105 or something)

im going to be feeding the amp with some good 0 gauge

Also im going to invest in a good cap

will that be enough to bump it with out the lights going dim?

Last edited by a moderator:
Minus the cap.

If lights do dim, get a bigger alt or add more batts in da trunk //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Caps **** unless it's like a 50 farad. It may be fine. But check the voltage drop as I have heard those 3000's are power hungry. And man thats a nice pick up for cheap.

What anout somthing like this for a cap? Power Acoustik CapCell-600 (capcell600) - Capacitor at Sonic Electronix - Sonic Electronix

or this:

Soundstream SCELL-600 (scell600) - Capacitor at Sonic Electronix - Sonic Electronix

and as far as getting a bigger alt, 220 is the biggest Ive been able to find, any one know where I can get a bigger one (i don't mind using adapter brackets and such)

and also, isnt that pushing it a little far on a 220 amp alt running 3 or more batteries?
Dont waste your money dude.. for the price of that you can get a real battery.. that thing is like 3 caps and 3 little 6v batteries all connected together.. It does store power like a battery because of the little batteries.. but is still useless.. go online and read up about caps and capcell's and they all say they do actually do what they are intended to do, but the catch is.. it doesn't dispense the power until you drop down to like 10 v then it farts out what little of actual power it has..

and hence defeats the purpose of it, to keep your lights from dimming and keep the current up which it fails and is false advertising stretching the truth....

Trust me.. I tired one.. and even tried defending it.. because i could start my car with it.. and was made to look like an idiot over it.. so dont put your self through the regret or time or money.. just get a battery instead.. And you know. even though i thought the guys on here where a bunch of ass holes... they where right.. they just was really cocky... thats all.. tring to get some nub to listen LOL! It lasted in my car for 1 month.. untill it blew out my amp.. i sent the f******* back and got my amp swapped out...

Only thing a cap is good for is the power meter.. thats it.. and to be honest the cheapest you can find maybe a Massive that looks good for $50 but thats what your buying.. looks and the meter..

or one expensive ass dist. block

hey, that's fine with me if they don't work, I just thought they sounded like a good idea (i thought it was fugly anyways), and i was able to track down a 270 amp alt (thanks cgriffin224) as soon as i get some cash, im going to order all my crap, and get this puppy installed

I wouldn't get a cap....They are pretty pointless...

I think those amps are the same as the PA 3000db's and if it is then those are pretty power hungry amps for a stock electrical.

I'm going to install 2 optima battery's in my car (im putting a cone air filter on, and getting rid of stock air box, and putting it there)

Im doing the big 3 upgrade with some 0 guage wire

im installing a 220 amp alternator (stock is like 105 or something)

im going to be feeding the amp with some good 0 gauge

Also im going to invest in a good cap

will that be enough to bump it with out the lights going dim?
electrical system wont be stock, i was just wondering if my plans to upgrade it will be beefy enough

You'd have to measure the size of your stock battery to find out how much of a difference there is in size. The S1200 has a reinforced case so it's better for under the hood, where the D1200 is great for inside the vehicle. Chances are your stock battery has around 450-600 amps, the Optimas have around 870 and the XS D1200 has 2600, and the D1200 is smaller in size.

I had an Optima Yellow top under my hood, then swapped it for a Kinetik HC1800 and then stepped up to the XS Power D5100, the XS is the best battery I've had yet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.