Enclosures on door components, good or bad?

Participant count
  • Participant list

robles_ricky
10+ year member

I have Boston pros in my doors and I've been wondering if mounting them on the door panel itself and sealing off behind it would be a good idea. I've heard that they are meant to not be in an enclosure but would it improve sound and give me more lows? I got this idea in my head because I heard alot of sound outside of my truck with windows rolled up and doors closed. I imagine if i sealed them off all that output would be directed into cab instead of outside. I also felt this might be a good idea since at all audio shops they always demo components in an enclosure on those wall displays. If you guys have any input on this like what size enclosure would be needed. All help greatly appreciated.

It'll be like putting a Baffle in your door... then installing a system...... You'll notice a GREAT increase in the sound.

DO IT!
Awesome!! That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for your reply.

Anyone have any negatives about doing this?

Instead of sealing yourself...... Just go on Ebay to search for Speaker Baffles ( For whatever size speakers you have in your doors. )
You mean the inserts that go behind the speaker? Kind of like deep bowls? I had those in my old vehicle and I think it wasn't enough airspace cuz I didnt notice a difference on sound but I kept them just to keep the elements out of speaker. I've been searching on here for any pics of installs where they made some form of enclosure for door speakers and a little more air space.

good thread //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif guess ill be getting some baffles for my new components as well

You mean the inserts that go behind the speaker? Kind of like deep bowls? I had those in my old vehicle and I think it wasn't enough airspace cuz I didnt notice a difference on sound but I kept them just to keep the elements out of speaker. I've been searching on here for any pics of installs where they made some form of enclosure for door speakers and a little more air space.
you can always put a little small hole in the bowl shaped baffles that you can buy

I have done plenty of audio installs but have yet to work with fiberglass. I'm researching it already. Gotta start sometime right? Thanks for all you're replies and ideas. Whatever I do I'll make sure to post results on here.

If the enclosure that you end up with is too small it can actually hurt the low end of the speakers. It's usually better to try to seal the door off than to try to build a separate enclosure behind the mid. Those rear baffles are too small for most every speaker out there.

If the enclosure that you end up with is too small it can actually hurt the low end of the speakers. It's usually better to try to seal the door off than to try to build a separate enclosure behind the mid. Those rear baffles are too small for most every speaker out there.
This

And

Lows are for subs not mids.

My sub plays the lows alright but there is some music that sounds dull or not heard at all in between the sub crossover setting and the audible freq's from components. I tried setting my sub x-over at 125hz instead of 80hz and I can hear notes that i couldn't hear before but they sound a liitle high and awkward to be playing through the sub. I think the components aren't really being heard below 125hz but the high pass Is set at 55-60hz . They don't distort at all, but they hit some low notes that aren't loud enough to sound balanced.

In horn enclosures? Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that. I had been reading a write up about building a T-line 1/4 wave enclosure but it won't work because t-lines use a whole lot of air space.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.