Enclosure Design, Would like some feedback!! :)

etm34
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Kentucky
SO i decided to try designing my own enclosure and would like some feedback on it. Im putting 2 10in dayton ho's in it and im trying to get the best sq that i can from the design. this box isnt fully finished, as im going to add 45 degree angle tabs in the corners for better air flow. dimensions if the box are

H:14in

W: 29.5 in

D: 14.5

Length of Port: 31.51

Port Tuning: 31 hz

Net Volume: 1.8 cuft

give me some feedback please and tell me how i could make it better!!!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif thanks everyone! im also going to try my hand in creating a kerfed box, so we'll see how that goes, should have that up by sunday for feedback....

*** how do you measure port length, i measured it from the inside of my port wall, the wall that also is the one that provides the net volume for the sub.

boxstats.jpg

Frequency response

freqresponse.jpg

Cone Excursion

coneexcursion.jpg

Time Delay

delay.jpg

Port Velocity

portvelocity.jpg

Box Design

boxdesign.jpg

agreed. Looks like it would perform great outside of a vehicle. Once installed that graph will be altered a decent amount. However, it will still sound decent over all I'm sure.

looks like it weill perform great outside the vehicle. once installed those graphs mean jack.
Yeah that's what I heard, that's why I tried to go with the flattest response and ill go by ear and see what it's like in whatever new car I get, since I don't have a car right now, Haha.

It is a decent response and is very accurate from my figures as well. There is an efficiency issue in this design based on the controlled response and excursion, but other than that, it is a decent conventional ported box and should perform quite well it seems. Be careful of the power levels below 35Hz due to the port characteristics, but it should not go over xmax, just may cause some noise from the port a bit is all. May not be noticeable from the cabin if installed in a trunk. The placement of the port on the same baffle will give it a usable response from 30-70Hz of that frequency curve and a drop just below 28Hz or so in correlation with the graph. All in all, it will work, but again, let us know if you have port noise at all. Port noise is estimated around 50V@35Hz or so based on REAL QUICK figures. So, that could be proven wrong, just something to look closely at.

You should also be around the mid 140s with that design as well with minimal losses. As mentioned, do not rely on that response for in vehicle gain, but as an average gain with high power, you should have a very smooth output. hope that helps.

I will tell you I am strongly against building or designing a box for an unknown vehicle or power on hand it is not a very good idea as an inch more or less here or there could really make the box or break its overall design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will tell you I am strongly against building or designing a box for an unknown vehicle or power on hand it is not a very good idea as an inch more or less here or there could really make the box or break its overall design.
I agree, although I think the "fudge factor" is typically more then an inch but I get what your going after here. lol

If you are wanting to get the most out of the setup then building everything around the product used and the application will yield the best results.

Yeah I thought about that I may wait to see what car I get, but from there the only thing that would make a difference for me is the dimensions. I have no clue how the cabin will affect the gain on the subs and the frequency response, I would love to be taught though if someone would teach me. I want to learn how to build boxes better and how the car will effect the sound. I already have my amp and know what power I can put out of it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.