Glassing sub enclosure, plans & questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Flex68
10+ year member

dilligaf
Spent a good amount of time researching "how to's" and getting a basic plan in place to fiberglass 2 separate enclosures, under rear seats, for Skar VVX-12's.

Called uscomposites.com Tech Dep't to verify that my order amounts were correct, and the dude said I needed to reconsider my materials list.

My plan:

cover carpet with plastic, cover the "mold" area with painters tape and tinfoil, spray with Pam

precut a fleece "base" put it into the glassing area and resin it good

top with 2 oz chopped strand mat (cut or torn into strips) x 3 layers;

glass in a sheet of 4 oz Coremat;

top Coremat with another couple layers of 2 oz chopped strand mat.

Tech guy said that the 2 oz chopped strand mat would not conform to corners and radiuses well, and would "porcupine" on me.

He suggested their 10 oz e-glass or their #1708 biaxial, first, then I could use 3/4 oz chopped strand in layers to add strength.

I am having a problem seeing how this would be all that different than my original plan....?? (Plus a bunch of info shows others have used 3 or even 4 oz chopped strand mat in their projects)

Anyone ever have issues using just 2 oz chopped strand? Anyone see any problem with my original plan/materials?

The couple times I did this I used what I could get cheap at a boat-yard. Cut the pieces up small enough and it shouldn't give you too much trouble. I suspect the guys at US Composites know their stuff and if the price difference isn't absurd, I'd go with what they suggest. There's more than one way to get things done with fiberglass, but if the people that sell the **** by the ton say to use a specific product you'd probably have better results.

The couple times I did this I used what I could get cheap at a boat-yard. Cut the pieces up small enough and it shouldn't give you too much trouble. I suspect the guys at US Composites know their stuff and if the price difference isn't absurd, I'd go with what they suggest. There's more than one way to get things done with fiberglass, but if the people that sell the **** by the ton say to use a specific product you'd probably have better results.

Appreciate the response, guy!

I was thinking along those lines, as well. Gotta wait to see what he quotes me tomorrow, but I was pretty shocked by his remarks about the 2 oz chopped strand mat being hard to work with....hell, lots of guys were posting about using 3- and 4-oz ! Wonder how they got it to do what they wanted/needed if the 2-oz is uncooperative on corners/radiuses?? lol

(If I go with his suggestion, I prolly won't need the Coremat, either, which may drive the price down.)

IF you cut the pieces up really small you won't have a problem filling corners, but sitting around with scisors cutting up mat is nasty so really if you can save yourself some work (and itching) it's probably worth it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.