Electrical upgrade advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kiquee

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey everyone first time posting here. I need advice on electrical upgrades. My current setup is a nations 200 amp alternator, autozone agm under the hood, and an xs power 750p in the trunk. Im running a skar skv 2500 for a single 12 and a skar rp 150.4 for my mids/highs. Voltage rarely drops under 13v. Im upgrading subs to dual sundown x10s wired at 1 ohm. Im wanting to push them with at least 3k. Thing is the biggest alt they make for my car is a mechman 240 amp (2004 mustang) and my alt is less than a year old so im thinking just getting more batteries just not sure what exactly. Any advice is appreciated.

What engine on the mustang? Should be able to get a 320 or 370 from some places. Got a J&S and love it, great customer service and really fast with their builds as well.

What engine on the mustang? Should be able to get a 320 or 370 from some places. Got a J&S and love it, great customer service and really fast with their builds as well.

Its 4.6 dohc, different engine from the regular mustangs

That don't matter. What matters is that the bolt up is the same as listed. If the alternator looks like that then you can bolt it up. You will be changing out the harness regardless if going up in a HO alternator from most companies. That link was searched using a 4.6. Post a picture of your alternator if it looks like that then you have a bunch of options.

That don't matter. What matters is that the bolt up is the same as listed. If the alternator looks like that then you can bolt it up. You will be changing out the harness regardless if going up in a HO alternator from most companies. That link was searched using a 4.6. Post a picture of your alternator if it looks like that then you have a bunch of options.
Alternator i currently have

Biggest one I could find for my car

Last edited:
Biggest one ive could fine for my car
220A as well but a better price.
Screenshot_20230519-111306.png

Me and my Jeep buddies love JS. And for the OP I am running a 240a alternator currently with 2 agm batteries and I am close to 3k easy. Never dios below 13.4 and will hold 13.8 or higher at high idle.

Last edited:
I got a 320a from j&s and 2 agm running a smart 3k and a rf power t400...about 13.8 is lowest I've ever seen at the amp...

Even though this says it is for the 3.8 what matters is the bolt pattern. Looks to be the same as the ones above. Available in 250 and 320. I would go with the bigger 320.

Got a J&S on my Explorer with a 69AH AGM with the big 3 and what not. Lowest I have seen when running full tilt is 14.0 and highest is 14.8.

I had a few companies telling me "nope that 4G is not going to be made" Or it was "sry casing won't fit" J&S fit perfectly with no issues and bolted up perfectly.

Contact J&S willing to bet this one or one they have will bolt up just fine. Plus you are going to need a 1/2" to 1" shorter serpentine belt as well with any hairpin aftermarket alternator

Hey everyone first time posting here. I need advice on electrical upgrades. My current setup is a nations 200 amp alternator, autozone agm under the hood, and an xs power 750p in the trunk. Im running a skar skv 2500 for a single 12 and a skar rp 150.4 for my mids/highs. Voltage rarely drops under 13v. Im upgrading subs to dual sundown x10s wired at 1 ohm. Im wanting to push them with at least 3k. Thing is the biggest alt they make for my car is a mechman 240 amp (2004 mustang) and my alt is less than a year old so im thinking just getting more batteries just not sure what exactly. Any advice is appreciated.
Batteries are far more important than alternator to prevent voltage dips. Get 40ah of lifepo4 and you'll be good.

Nice car by the way. Mach 1 or cobra?

Last edited:
Batteries are far more important than alternator to prevent voltage dips. Get 40ah of lifepo4 and you'll be good.

Nice car by the way. Mach 1 or cobra?
Yea im mostly likely going to go that route. Dont plan on winning competitions or playing full tilt all the time. I watched some good videos last night on making your own lithium battery and its seems pretty straight forward.

And thank you its a cobra

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...