Electrical problem

Participant count
  • Participants list

MmatsDude
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Sup fellas. Need urgent help before I take my car to an electrical shop.

2003 Lincoln town car

Have not installed no car audio equipment yet.

When I am driving the car and I use my turning signals either left or right turning signal it kills all the electrical on my dash board and the AC shuts off. The dash board starts going crazy with the gauges going up and down uncontrollably. Scared when this happens and I am on the freeway. Then after like 5 or 10 seconds everything comes back to normal and starts working properly.

It did this yesterday. I was pulling in to a parking lot used my right turning signal and boom it killed the AC off completely and the whole dash board off also. The car was still drivable but the steering wheel felt stiff as if the car was loosing power. Really weird.

Can the turning signals be causing a short when turned on? Interfering with other electrical components in the car?

Also today the car wouldn’t turn on at all. Only the stereo will turn on. Dashboard and AC like stated previously will not turn on. When trying to turn the ignition the car won’t respond it’s just completely dead but you could hear a clicking sound though as if the car wants to turn on.

This is driving me crazy. Help guys

Ok guys I tried using the turning signals again While driving to see if it did it again.When vehicle engine is running and turn signals are actuated, the digital dash, turn signals, and air conditioner cuts off. Additionally, steering effort increases substantially. The duration may be momentary (less than 5 seconds) or last for a minute or longer. Frequency is 30+ percent of the time when the turn signals are engaged (left or right).

IDK for sure what's causing the problems... mine did something similar with gauges, door locks, turn signals and window motors. Turned out it was a short in the power seat... lol... I found it by feeling the breakers (auto-reset ones) when it was acting-up. The lil things were in the interior fuse-box and controlled several circuits each and when opened-up they were HOT. I traced the circuit and started disconnecting what I could get to and eventually I got lucky (Narrowed down the area/circuit).... the drivers power seat was the issue, I removed it and took it apart and lo-and-behold a wire was rubbed down to the core for one of the motors, It still worked, my body weight was causing the short and only sometimes as well.

I wrapped the wire and zip-tied it out of the problem area and it's now fixed.

Could be something similar... electrical gremlins can be a PITA!

Hopefully that helps.

probably a short however we did have to change the turn signal stalk and wires on 03 alero it have other stuff running through it or something.. search google for tht problem u may find answer on lincoln forum

IDK for sure what's causing the problems... mine did something similar with gauges, door locks, turn signals and window motors. Turned out it was a short in the power seat... lol... I found it by feeling the breakers (auto-reset ones) when it was acting-up. The lil things were in the interior fuse-box and controlled several circuits each and when opened-up they were HOT. I traced the circuit and started disconnecting what I could get to and eventually I got lucky (Narrowed down the area/circuit).... the drivers power seat was the issue, I removed it and took it apart and lo-and-behold a wire was rubbed down to the core for one of the motors, It still worked, my body weight was causing the short and only sometimes as well.I wrapped the wire and zip-tied it out of the problem area and it's now fixed.

Could be something similar... electrical gremlins can be a PITA!

Hopefully that helps.
Dude that sounds like a pain in the but. Lol

I don’t even know we’re to start checking.

You know the fuse box that is by the steering wheel? Well When the car does not want to turn on I start hitting that fuse box a couple of times and by hitting it I manage to start the car back up. Weird bro. Should check all fuses first?

I know my problem is a short. But don’t know we’re.

The car started doing this when the fuel pump was changed. Should I take it back to the mechanic that did the fuel pump work on it?

I would post this in a lincoln specific forum first

Mention that it was after the fuel pump and see if any of the wiring is related. It could be your computer going bad, it could be a short in the dash panel, or the blinker wiring.

I'm betting it could even be a bad ground

Low Voltage can cause several electrical issues in these newer vehicles also.Just another think to be considered.Had this happen in an 09 Volvo ..Bad bnew battery,had a cell that was only charging to like 11.4v

Short to ground, ticking means bad relay. Listen to them while somebody tries starting it and replace the one that clicks. Low voltage would be easy to test for as well.
One is ticking. I am going to replace it. Will report back.

I disconnected and reconnected all fuses and relays problem went away. Weird
That is weird.Maybe your ECU may need be replaced soon?Or Brain for the Vehicle going out eventually?I dont know. I know that every Ford Ive ever owned i always had some retarded issue with them.Like those Coil pacs, fuel pump issues,blowers,lifters tapping,transmission issues, 3rd brake light out cruise control wouldnt work.Just some stuff

That is weird.Maybe your ECU may need be replaced soon?Or Brain for the Vehicle going out eventually?I dont know. I know that every Ford Ive ever owned i always had some retarded issue with them.Like those Coil pacs, fuel pump issues,blowers,lifters tapping,transmission issues, 3rd brake light out cruise control wouldnt work.Just some stuff
My friend that works on cars electrically said that one of the fuses or relays was making bad contact and by disconnecting and reconnecting everything it fix the problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.