Electrical gurus enter.

CAT MAN
5,000+ posts

Banned
Roanoke,VA
i need to know if i would gain anything by grounding my front/rear batts together. one batt is grounded to the framee (the odessy) the optima is grounded to the shock tower and engine/stock locations per big 3. im goin gto school for electrical engineering but i cannot find what i would gain and needed some knowledge from you guys. thanks

It kan't hurt. Notice how I spelled can't with a K.

Grounding to your struts = bad

When you go over bumps the friction creates a small electrical charge on the metal boot thus your car will explode soon

You want to reduce the amount of welded points from battery to battery if you're frame grounding. A shock tower is a piss poor spot to ground even a 500 watt setup. And personally, i'm not one to say you're in the wrong as currently I have a 1.5 volt drop from the front battery to the back battery bank on my own setup that is totally frame grounded. Which I intend on fixing this weekend with 1/0 runs from the ground and the positive comming from the bat/alt.

You want to reduce the amount of welded points from battery to battery if you're frame grounding. A shock tower is a piss poor spot to ground even a 500 watt setup. And personally, i'm not one to say you're in the wrong as currently I have a 1.5 volt drop from the front battery to the back battery bank on my own setup that is totally frame grounded. Which I intend on fixing this weekend with 1/0 runs from the ground and the positive comming from the bat/alt.
so it will fix one batt dropping lower than the other? i can sort of see that. im buying some 1/0 now. unfortuneatly i will have to tear my foam out to run it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif but it will be worth it. snoop.

Just saying, but majoring in EE will not teach you how to wire a car better. I'm an ME and know more about circuitry/electronics than any EE I've met here. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Just saying, but majoring in EE will not teach you how to wire a car better. I'm an ME and know more about circuitry/electronics than any EE I've met here. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
not saying it will but i do understand alot more thn i used to with electricity in general.

Yeah, you will learn a lot about circuitry, electrodynamics, and other stuff, but there is hardly ever a class, or even a teacher that could tell you anything about optimizing automotive electrical systems. It sort of sucks to have those specific questions but not be able to ask a superior about it because they know less than you. That is what the forums are for though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

You have to understand the physics of the conduction / electrical path that frame grounding is. The logic is, metal is a crystalline structure that for the most part has been sintered (crystals alligned in the same direction) from either roll forming or cast. That's not always possible of course, depending on how the material was made. Anyhooo, the crystal structure at the welds of materials are now in an amorphous state, there by the crystals are not aligned well or if at all due to the extreme heating and fluidics of weld joints. Less crystal interaction and surface area conduction = more resistance as a conductor.

Yep I just went there. BOOM.

Yeah, you will learn a lot about circuitry, electrodynamics, and other stuff, but there is hardly ever a class, or even a teacher that could tell you anything about optimizing automotive electrical systems. It sort of sucks to have those specific questions but not be able to ask a superior about it because they know less than you. That is what the forums are for though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif
pretty much. im not afraid to ask if i dont know. ive just never had experience in such a finicial stress where i had stepped down my system and cut things(like good wire). so im learning new stuff every day i never would have.

You have to understand the physics of the conduction / electrical path that frame grounding is. The logic is, metal is a crystalline structure that for the most part has been sintered (crystals alligned in the same direction) from either roll forming or cast. That's not always possible of course, depending on how the material was made. Anyhooo, the crystal structure at the welds of materials are now in an amorphous state, there by the crystals are not aligned well or if at all due to the extreme heating and fluidics of weld joints. Less crystal interaction and surface area conduction = more resistance as a conductor.
Yep I just went there. BOOM.
Atta boy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.