Electric Fan is great Sound deadener?

Depression
10+ year member

ISSUES
Many of you do not have this issue..but some of us with Trucks do. Some of you with trucks may not even realize this is a sound issue. I didn't until now

On my 1992 GMC..The Stock Fan is VERY loud..Initially I thought it was just common Engine noise, but it's the "ROAR" of the Fan. I have a loud Flowmaster and I can still here the fan spinning loudly especially at start up.

Flex-A-Lite offers Electric fans for Late model Trucks that will gain you about 15-20HP..but now that I am getting a system and doing some sound deadening..... it has become apparent that I need to kill the Fan noise and the rushing of air sound coming from under my hood.

Again..some of you may not think this to be an issue..especially little imports. But Truck guys will be suprised if they do a listening test and "focus" on the Fan noise. you'll realize that quieting it will obviously help the acoustics in the ride. This may also drain some needed electrical power and turn some people off..but I am going to go for it for musical reasons alone and I gain some Horsepower.

You may be disappointed with the flex a lite. My father has a full size chevy v8 truck, had a very loud fan (clutch type). We replaced it with a flex a lite (albeit a big one) and it was just as loud, if not louder than the original fan was. But, it cools better, and he'd already paid the $400 for it, so we left it on. It also has dual speeds, and the lower speed wasn't so bad I guess. BTW, his fans pull some pretty major juice. I dont remember the exact current pull the book said it would draw, but I was surprised. It was as much as a decent sized amplifier. I decided to stay with a mechanical fan system on my stereo vehicle after putting his flex a lite on.

If you're moving a large volume of air at a high velocity -- it's gonna be loud. The expensive unit might have a quieter motor, but that's not the noise concern anyway. And 15-20hp is a pipe dream.

look into aftermarket fan replacements, not electric, it may also be the fan clutch that has a bad bearing or something, you could slap some dynamt extreme (just b/c of the heat) under the hood and on the firewall, that should keep the engine noise down. Yeah electric is sweet, if you have a good alternator, youll gain hp easy since there is less strain on the motor, id even take the a/c unit out and then youll have like 35hp gain, some underdrive pulleys, and she'll rev alot quicker

Interesting..I had the impression those Flex-a-lites where alot quieter. For some reason my stock Fan is VERY loud, like I said..first 10 minutes of Start up. Maybe not 15-20HP..but I do not doubt flex-a-lites claims completely..my stock Fan is a beast!!!! and long before the "electric" fan thing became a modification, I was aware that my Stock clutch fan was killing HP..especially on my truck for some reason..you can feel the fans draw on the motor

BUT..I agree with the aftermarket fan solution actually..I have alot of High performance mods on the truck and one of them is a 160 degree thermostat..the truck runs VERY cool (maybe too cool)..so I am going to look into other options from what you guys said.

I always thought about Sound deadening the under-hood..I just figured I could get some HP out of this deal also!

THANKS

using an electric fan wouldnt really be considered a 'sound deadener' as it's not deadening any sound... i would 'deaden' your hood and firewall

yea ss audio makes some stuff especially for your hood and for your firewall and right now there is a huge sale going on over there id suggest checking it out.

Holy crap is the burb fan loud !!.

Thats why i wanna get an electric one.

Lets see.

Stock Fan: really loud, wastes gas, robbs HP, is alot bigger than an electric

Elcetric Fan: Quiet, saves gas, wastes no HP, Pulls current, smaller than stock, cools better

Holy crap is the burb fan loud !!.Thats why i wanna get an electric one.

Lets see.

Stock Fan: really loud, wastes gas, robbs HP, is alot bigger than an electric

Elcetric Fan: Quiet, saves gas, wastes no HP, Pulls current, smaller than stock, cools better
This isn't completely true. The energy to turn those fans has to come from some where. And since your engine is the only power source there is...

Dont forget an alternator robs HP too.

And no, they aren't quiet. That roaoring sound people here are talking about is the sound of the fans pushing the air (they certainly aren't hearing the motor brushes rubbing). If you wanna push the air, its gonna make noise.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.