Dvc

Participant count
  • Participant list

Matador
10+ year member

-= StillBumping =-
Ca
u can wire a DVC sub as a SVC too right? just connect it to + n - of the same coil.

also, to wire the coils, u use the same gauge that u use to connect the amp to the sub right? i m using 12 gauge, n since u have to connect to cables into one terminal of one coil, the wires get thick, are there connectors that u can put 2 inputs to make it 1 output, or what is the easy way to combine the 2 cables so that i dont' have to force them into the coil?

Yes you could wire it using only one voice coil.

However. Thesub is designed to run with both coils and running only one of em will increase the stress on the sub and you will not be able to get the subs full potential. I would recommend, depending on your equipent, to wire the subs voice coils either in series or in parallel

As for your other question, I don't completely understand what you mean.

You run the wires from the amp to the appropriate terminals on the sub. + to + and - to -

If happen to mean to the terminals on the back of a sub-box then yes just use the same gauge wire. With most subs 14-12Ga should be ok, and allow you plenty of room for two wires per connector.

The connectors on the back of the sub are the only places where you should be running wire. Do not try and wire your amp DIRECTLY to the voice coil as this will void the warranty and maybe screw the sub up.

i guess wat i meant was like, hmm, let's say u r wiring a dvc i parallel.

so u gotta connect - to - (from 1 coil to the ohter), n + to + (coil to coil). n then u connect the + signal from the amp to one of the + in one of the coils, n the - from the amp to the - but of the other coil (so + n - from amp goes to 2 diff coils).

so then u got 2 wires going into + of one coil, n 2 wires going into - of the other coil. do u just combine this cables n try to make tem as thin as possible so that it fits into teh tholes of the coils, or is there like a connector that unites these 2 wires into 1 output so that its' easier i guess to connect to the coils?

btw, 12 gauge speaker wire

thanks

i guess wat i meant was like, hmm, let's say u r wiring a dvc i parallel.

so u gotta connect - to - (from 1 coil to the ohter), n + to + (coil to coil). n then u connect the + signal from the amp to one of the + in one of the coils, n the - from the amp to the - but of the other coil (so + n - from amp goes to 2 diff coils).

so then u got 2 wires going into + of one coil, n 2 wires going into - of the other coil. do u just combine this cables n try to make tem as thin as possible so that it fits into teh tholes of the coils, or is there like a connector that unites these 2 wires into 1 output so that its' easier i guess to connect to the coils?

btw, 12 gauge speaker wire

thanks

If the subs were designed properly they would have large enough holes to fit two wires in. I would actually suggest, if the holes are too small, to run Wires fromthe amp to each coil.

Amp + to First coil +

Amp + to Second Coil +

and ditto for the -

Another option would be to split the wire inside the box.

just run the wire like you normally would but before you attach it to the coils, attach two wires (very important to keep them both approx the same length) to the + of the main wire. Now connect the other end of each of these two wires to the coils. Do the same with the negative. And don't forget to tape or shrinkwrap the joint.

Using only 1 VC lets the other coil hang as dead weight. Some manufacturers (Kicker) say it's OK as long as you cut the sub's power in half. Others (JL, and Infinity) say NEVER use only one coil. I'd be careful.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.