Dual Amp Woes

downsider
10+ year member

HELL
I have a jbl600.1 amp powering my subs. I was thinking of getting another amp to power my speakers. My only worry is that of alternator noise coming through the speakers. (i had a bad experience with this when i had a 4 channel amp [2 to the amp, 2 to my speaks]) I heard it is good to run the power wire on the other side of the rca's, but I'm still worryful about me getting alternator noise. If i run my 2nd amp's power to my

front speakers, do i run the power wires to the speakers on the side with my rca's or power cables going to the rear amp? Will wiring with a certain brand or type of wire help prevent this unpleasant screaching noise? Any adivce or insight would be appreciated. Thanks:rolleyes:

Should'nt be a problem if in fact you are worried about alternator noise. Just run the signal wires away from the power wires as you said. I have no problem with my JBL amps.

thanks. do you think it was worth getting a seporate amp (in your instance?). Does it really make the speakers sound getter, i have really only heard speakers running off a H/U

you wont notice anything spectacular, but it will be much cleaner. plus, now you have the capabilities to run some aftermarket speakers if you ever choose to.

as for your setup, run power wire and remote wire on one side of car, RCA on the other. then, in the trunk (i assume the amps will be here) use a dist. block to split the power wire for the two amps. that should be pretty much it. if you have alt whine after, it will be because of other problems, not the running of wires (the guys on this forum can help you if the problem arises).

The only drawbacks to running two amps, that I can think of, would be increased space required, and probably a bigger current draw. If you are running your full range speakers of the HU, putting a second amp in will increase your volume without distortion, possible increased clarity, and allow you to fine tune the sound you want by adjusting the gains of both amps. Hope this helps.

if you have to amps, then get four gauge usually. and make sure that the wires are not connected to the alternater, some people have done that by mistake, and then make sure the ground wires are on a metal surface with the gauge required by amp, most amps are 8 guage. run the wire to a double fused slpit bolck and run required guage wire to amps. run the remote in the same path as the power wires,

I have my power wire set up like this: from battery to the fuse bock I have 0 gauge to a 0 in two 4 gauge out fuse block, then I have both running down the drives side , and one four gauge goes under the seat to to a distribution block 4 in, two 8's out, then to the two amps. the other 4 guage goes to the trunk where I have my mono block sub amp.and on each anp I use the same type wire for ground. 4 and 8 gauge. I have my remote running along side each power wire in a tube to prevent grounding out.

The only suggestion I can make is to centrally ground everything in your system. I used to have engine noise a long time ago. So grounded everything, including the head unit, in one central grounding place(in the trunk). And that took away all of my engine noise. I had 3 amps at that time.

Larry

:p :p :p

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.