DSP. Whats the point of multiple inputs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

The Camry

Hey, I Try.
I never understood why a dsp needs multiple inputs. Essentially all you need is one full range signal input and the DSP should let you tune and send out multiple channels. 8 channels output? great. 8 channels input? whats the point?

Can anyone enlighten me here?

fading channels, modifying EQ curve or time alignment before the dsp, maintaining all your left/right seperation, letting advanced headunits create different outputs per each channel depending on what it is, dolby 7.1 surround does something like this afaik

2 channel inputs wont let the source be modified the same way, but this is really dependent on the DSP functionality

fading channels, modifying EQ curve or time alignment before the dsp, maintaining all your left/right seperation, letting advanced headunits create different outputs per each channel depending on what it is, dolby 7.1 surround does something like this afaik
2 channel inputs wont let the source be modified the same way, but this is really dependent on the DSP functionality
Yes it will

If you can't get a full range signal from one source you need to build it.

fading channels?

maintaining l/r channel separation. Well i mean i understand that but a single channel input. as in two rcas, one left, one right. that gives you your l/R separation.

In my opinion. If you are going to get a dsp, it should be able to do all those things you mentioned. Why confuse or complicate things by modifying a curve and sending it to another dsp to modify it some more?

i didnt say whether it was a good or bad thing just what it is lol

obviously you can run a full range into 2channels and have it modified from there, but my point is that people dont always have those features in their specific dsp but their headunit might.

other features such as fade and left/right seperation is going to be available on any individual channel was my point, what happens when the headunit does that but the dsp doesn't have an interface that does that

i didnt say whether it was a good or bad thing just what it is lol
obviously you can run a full range into 2channels and have it modified from there, but my point is that people dont always have those features in their specific dsp but their headunit might.

other features such as fade and left/right seperation is going to be available on any individual channel was my point, what happens when the headunit does that but the dsp doesn't have an interface that does that
If it can't do that it's not a DSP. At least a full DSP. You don't mess with that stuff after the tune is done

If it can't do that it's not a DSP. At least a full DSP. You don't mess with that stuff after the tune is done
we need a standard definition for dsp, then. I understand what you're saying... but my intent was to provide some solution as to why you may need 8 channels into a dsp, whether it be an advanced dsp with a multitude of features, or a different dsp without those features

we need a standard definition for dsp, then. I understand what you're saying... but my intent was to provide some solution as to why you may need 8 channels into a dsp, whether it be an advanced dsp with a multitude of features, or a different dsp without those features
A DSP is anything that modifys a signal. Like the LC2.

I provided the reason. It's the only reason. If it has to sum more than one input to get a full range signal.

I like to use the inputs and set up multiple presets to have each setup of inputs go to a different device. Channel 1 & 2 comes from headunit, Channel 3 & 4 comes from Ipod, Channel 5 & 6 comes from Ipad, Channel 7 & 8 comes from Phone, and Aux is setup for my burp deck. Just changing the preset on my DSP means I get to treat each of these like a different source. Each require different eq settings as well so it works great this way.

Part of it is the same reason multichannel amps have different sets of inputs. You only "need" one full range signal for things to work properly but some people like to have other controls such as fading or for whatever their reason is, use the source unit for some functionality rather than the DSP.

Also, some of the vehicles out there now have a lot of processing going on and it may be easier to grab signals from speakers rather than trying to find/convert unfiltered signals. If this is the case, the DSP will be used to sum the signals as pointed out above.

Part of it is the same reason multichannel amps have different sets of inputs. You only "need" one full range signal for things to work properly but some people like to have other controls such as fading or for whatever their reason is, use the source unit for some functionality rather than the DSP.
Also, some of the vehicles out there now have a lot of processing going on and it may be easier to grab signals from speakers rather than trying to find/convert unfiltered signals. If this is the case, the DSP will be used to sum the signals as pointed out above.
You can't TA each speaker if you only give a full range amp one input.

You can't TA each speaker if you only give a full range amp one input.
This is exactly what I am saying. DSP's, along with multichannel amps, have the ability to work off of one set up inputs. This provides convenience at the cost of functionality.

This is the case with most things in life.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.